Act #07

Act#07

I can't stop thinking what's going on. I want to know. I was still standing behind the door, trying to be an invisible spy. I have the urge to step into the room and asked about their conversation, I know it is an act of rudeness but I know they are keeping something from us, well...me. I have been thinking about my parents. They have been acting weird and different lately. I could not get this wrong because I am an observer, I could feel and sense things. Is this what people called-The sixth sense? I just want my family back in a piece, I know there is this missing piece that came off, I want to help. I strained my ears to find more clues.

Suddenly, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I was startled and I dropped the tray I have been holding all this while without me noticing. It fall and the sound rang, I was caught. Like a wanted criminal. I did not realize I was caught eavesdropping until I saw my Dad in front of me looking sadness, disappointment and worry.

I was dumbfounded. I just made a big scene outside the guest room. I just realized I had made a scene in front of the guests. I am in deep trouble.

"Have you been eavesdropping?" My dad asked with his look, he seems that he already have the answer before he asked me.

"Come in to the guest room." He continued before I could confess my mistakes for eavesdropping.

I followed his instruction and went into the room. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson were there sitting on the couch beside my Mum. All of them stared at me. Rachel was told to come in too. Both of us looked confused and puzzled while they were not talking. I tried not to break the silence. But I couldn't help it.

"Dad, Mum, I'm sorry for eavesdropping. Could one of you talk to me? I am freaking out if you don't speak. Is it because of me eavesdropping? I'm sorry. I'm sorry Mr. and Mrs. Anderson." Five pairs on mine, not one even leave mine for an inch.

Mr. and Mrs. Anderson felt uncomfortable with their expressions, they felt sad and deep inside I know there was something they are looking forward too but it feels it was sadness at the same time. I felt guilty for causing a mess in front of them and staring at them like aliens but this atmosphere is really bad, really bad for everyone and me too.

Dad stood up, "Gina sweetheart, I know this is confusing but promise us that you will try to understand and accept it. Promise us that you will not freak out after hearing what we have to say."

I just nodded, all I know there is nothing good though, from their looks, it feels like I did something wrong but I know I will know what they were talking about soon.

"Gina, this is Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, they are..." He seems like he could not complete the sentence, I do not want to interrupt it, I know I should not.

"We are your biological parents." Mr. Anderson broke the awkward silence.

I stood there, froze. What? Did I hear that correctly? They are my biological parents? Wait, I'm confused, first I was eavesdropping and now they told me the Anderson couple is my parents? They are my biological parents? I gave myself mental slaps to wake myself up. Am I dreaming or having a nightmare? I stood froze, I don't know what to do. I hope someone tell me it was an April fool's joke. Maybe this is the price of being curious.

“Okay.”That’s all I can say.

I ran, ran out of the room and locked myself in the bedroom before anyone call me and stop me because I need some time. Some time to spend being alone, to think. I tune in to the radio and blasted it out so no one hear me cry. I don't know why I reacted in this way. I’m shocked knowing that I did not belong to this family which I have known for sixteen years. I do know something was wrong, because I did not look like my parents, I do not have their face features like my sister, Rachel. Even though many people said I looked like Rachel but I felt different, they were trying to make me feel better. Those were white lies. The fact is we don't even look alike.

My phone vibrated.

I just realized I am supposed to meet the girls for prom night dress shopping.

--

It's Evelyn:

"Hey Gina! Where have u been? FYI we have been waiting for u for an hour."

"Sry, I have some urgent matter on, I cannot join u girls, have fun (: " I texted back, I actually put that smile, but I'm not smiling.

--

I still can't figure a thing, why this happened to me?

It was not sad, not happy or confuse.

Shocked

That's the word I'm finding that was closer to my feeling.

I got out of my bedroom leaving the room in silence. I walked out of the house to the nearby beach. I looked horrible, ignored all the weird looks from strangers I continued running until I reached the destination.

I sat under a shade, playing with the sand. I looked at the people there, families, friends and couples. What am I thinking? Maybe Regina, you should stop thinking. I continued sitting under shade until I saw the beautiful sunset, signaled me evening had come by. I walked back to the apartment feeling better after chilling out. Part of me is excited to know the rest of the story while I’m getting ready to accept the fact.

Back at the apartment; it seems the same as usual, Mum and Rachel were setting up the dining area. The presences of Dad and my biological parents were nowhere; I think they were together in the guest room. I’m still not getting used to the word, ‘Biological’.

I walked to my room to change and came back to the dining area. No one speak a word, it was awkward. Rachel mouthed "Are you all right?" with a concern look. I just nodded and gave a faint smile.

Dad and the Andersons, well my biological parents, came to the dining room.

"Gina sweetheart, are you feeling better now?" My dad asked with a worry look.

I nodded.

"Well, the Andersons are staying over for dinner and they will be back to join us for a few days." He continued.

We started to tuck in, and no one talk, everyone was quiet. I missed the usual jokes, joy I had during dinner. I want it to be that way. After the dinner, the Andersons bid goodbyes and they looked like they missed someone, well, I know who. It was written on their face. I wondered what was the background story, I am not angry but being a stubborn girl, I do not know how to act properly. They will be back tomorrow and we can have our family bond? I am not really looking forward to it. I am still in the neutral state which is better than the extreme, I don't hate any of them and I don't feel anything, everything feels numb. Well, numb is the only word I could use and there’s one thing.

One thing

What am I supposed to call them?

I stared at the photographs I hung on the wall. I stared tills I fall asleep. I want to know the story, the story that they want me knows.

The story

I will found out soon.

Curiosity kills me.