Chapter Three

"Hello! Are you alright?" Travis asked the girl. The girl seemed to be in shock- she didn't respond. But, she stopped running. Zane skidded to a stop and looked around.
"Walkers!!" He groaned. There were more than he would've liked, but he wasn't about to abandon Travis and the girl. Travis pulled out a knife.
"Go to th-" Travis started to tell the girl, but she pulled out a knife of her own and stared fiercely around at the approaching walkers.
Zane watched as Travis threw himself at the nearest walker and drove his knife into the back of its head. Zane shook his head and turned to face a different walker. He realized he didn't have a knife, so he couldn't kill the walker without making a lot of noise with his pistol. Thinking quickly, he grabbed a sharp stick off of the ground and stabbed at the walker, but it didn't go down as easy as Travis's had. The walker snarled viciously and lunged at him, but Travis swept up behind Zane, grabbed his hand with the stick, and stabbed the back of the walker's head.
"Weak spot." He said quickly before turning to face another one. Zane nodded and went to a different walker, using the weak spot to bring it down quickly. Then, he heard the girl start to speak, but she was cut short. Zane turned to ask her what she was going to say, but he himself fell silent.
A walker had sank its teeth into the girl's neck, and jerked its head away. Zane turned quickly, slamming his eyes shut and trying to pretend that that didn't happen. But the sickening thud told him that the girl was dead, and the walkers were gathering around her body. Shock made his movements slow. As he looked at Travis, he saw that he was facing the girl, unmoving. He, too, seemed to be in shock. Zane turned slowly and advanced towards a new walker.

All was silent in the town. Travis and Zane stood beside each other, panting, as they glanced around the field of dead walkers. Zane felt sick as he remembered the sight of the walker killing the girl.
"Come on.." Travis said quietly, his voice dull. "Let's get back and rest."
Zane nodded. He followed Travis as he walked stiffly back to the convenience store, his arms crossed.
When they got inside, Travis put his gun by the door. He walked over to the table and sat down, putting the gas mask in front of him on the table.
Zane sighed and sat down in the other chair. "Are you okay?" He asked, his voice low.
Travis didn't answer for a moment. "No."
"Was it the girl...?"
"Yes... Zane, I went out there to help her but she still died.. If I can't even defend one person, what good am I?"
Zane sighed. "Travis. You defend one person every day. Yourself. And what about me? You saved me the first day we met, and just outside, you defended me and showed me their weak spot."
Travis's eyes hard a spark of hope in them, but it died away. "I think I hurt my shoulder while I was fighting. I jerked my arm and I felt a little pop. Of course, I didn't dislocate it, but my arm's sore."
"Oh... I guess you'll have to take it easy on that arm for a while." Zane watched Travis stretch the arm and wince.
"Fighting walkers is tiring." Travis sighed and stood up. "I think I'm gonna take a nap." He walked over to the side room. Zane walked after him, concerned.
"Besides the arm thing, are you sure you're okay?" Zane asked.
Travis nodded. He walked over to his bed and sat down on it, then lay down and cover himself entirely with the blanket. Zane sat on his own bed but didn't lay down. He looked at the small window to his right and watched the snow falling past.

Zane felt himself drifting off to sleep when he saw Travis moving around in his bed. From how he was laying, he could tell his sore arm was bothering him.
     Zane looked at Travis's arm and frowned. I should check for bruising or something. Where did he say it hurt? His shoulder?
     Zane crawled closer to Travis and looked down at the sore arm. He carefully grabbed the edge of Travis's shirt and pulled it down slowly so that he could see Travis's arm. To Zane's relief, there wasn't any bruising in the area. His relief flashed to panic when Travis's eyes fluttered open. Zane's face heated up, and he saw a light pink blush forming on Travis's face. Travis glanced at his exposed shoulder, Zane's hand, then back at Zane. A grin appeared on his face.
     "I-I'm sorry! I j-just wanted to m-make sure y-your sh-sh-shoulder was o-okay!" Zane crawled backwards.
     "Does it look okay?" Travis looked at his shoulder, closely examining it.
     "I d-didn't see anything wrong."
     Travis nodded, seeming satisfied with that answer. Then, he grinned. "He look on your face when I woke up was priceless, even though half of it is covered by your mask."
Zane turned his head.
"What? Are you still embarrassed?" Travis asked.
"What do you think?" Zane answered his question with a question.
"I think.." Travis started saying, but Zane still didn't look at him. "..that you shouldn't still be embarrassed." Zane turned to face him, narrowing his eyes.
"Well, I can't help that."
"You have something else to be embarrassed about."
"...What's th-"
Zane was cut short as Travis lunged at him. He went from sitting to laying on his back in a matter of seconds. Travis stayed over him, both of his hands on the floor on either side of Zane's head. Zane's face went blood red.
"See? You should be much more embarrassed about this." Travis chuckled, staring down at him.
What is he doing?! I barely know him!!!
     "Wh-what are y-you-.. Are y-you feeling o-okay?"
     Travis laughed and sat up, and Zane quickly got up as well. "You get flustered so easily."
     "That's not m-my fault!" Zane stammered, glaring at Travis.
     Travis only grinned in response.
     Well.. At least his arm's better... And he's acting like himself again.