Chapter Six

"Are you both okay?" Travis asked Aphmau and Aaron. He had brought them back to the little warehouse where Travis and Zane slept, and they were being treated to the same food Travis gave him when he first arrived: beans.
Aaron looked at Aphmau, then back at Travis. "Yea, thank you both so much." He smiled at them. Zane caught Aaron looking at Travis, and something like mistrust flashed in his eyes. Travis took no notice of this. Aaron leaned over and started whispering to Aphmau, who gasped quietly and covered her mouth. Zane stepped closer to Travis.
"Hey." He said quietly. "Not sure what th- hello? Travis?" Travis was staring off into space. Travis blinked.
"Huh? Oh! What do you need?" He asked.
Zane shook his head. "They're talking about you." He whispered.
Travis frowned. "About what?" He whispered back.
"I'm not sure. Maybe it's because you look like you haven't slept in a month.."
"It's the cold." Travis mumbled. "I shouldn't have went out in the snow like that."
"No, no. Stop. Don't think like that." Zane stood on his tiptoes to peck Travis on the lips.
Travis smiled. "Alright."
"Are.. are you two dating?" Aphmau asked.
"Wh-what?!" Zane spun around to face them.
"I mean.." Travis chuckled. Zane send him a look. "Yeah.. no.. we're not dating." Zane heard the quiet 'yet' that Travis whispered under his breath and couldn't stop himself from smiling.
Aphmau kept whispering to Aaron. Travis exchanged a glance with Zane and chuckled nervously. Then he turned back to them.
     "Well... You two can stay as long as you need to." He said slowly.
     "Really?" Aphmau asked. Travis nodded. "Thank you so much!!"

     Travis made both of them makeshift beds, and watched them as they settled in. Zane was laying in his own bed, watching them curiously.
     It was dark now, and the snow showed no signs of returning. It even seemed a little warmer outside, even if it wasn't much.
     Zane looked at Travis as he walked over to their beds, glancing between Zane's and his own empty one.
    "What?" Zane asked.
     Travis crouched down beside Zane's bed, then crawled in beside him. Zane smiled as Travis fidgeted with the blankets and snatched his pillow from the other bed, and then put it beside Zane's and finally seemed comfortable.
      Zane watched him for a moment. "So.. how's your arm doing?"
     Travis frowned at his arm. "Well, it's still sore."
     "What happened to his arm?" Aphmau asked, sounding genuinely concerned. "Is it cut? I have some stuff for cuts."
     "No, I hurt my shoulder while fighting some walkers. I swung at one of them and heard a little pop." Travis yawned.
     "Hmm.. I don't have painkillers, but those would be the best thing to take." She nodded.
     "But that would be wasting them. If we'll ever need them for something, like a deep gash or maybe even a bite, then we shouldn't use them now on a sore arm." Travis argued. Zane saw Aphmau flinch at the word 'bite', which showed that she was as afraid of walkers as Zane was.
     Zane rolled over and cuddled into the blanket. Aphmau started to say something, but Travis shushed her.
     Zane let himself fall into a deep sleep.

     "Good morning." Zane heard Travis say near his face. He opened his eyes, and Travis immediately gave him a quick kiss on the lips. Zane smiled, then frowned.
     "Did you get any sleep?!" Zane asked, staring at the darker bags under his eyes.
     Travis slowly shook his head. "I couldn't fall asleep."
      "Travis.." Zane said softly. "Why can't you sleep? It isn't good to be missing this much sleep. Are you sure you only have a cold?"
     "You said it yourself, I don't have a fever. My arm was just bothering me a little."
     "Thats it. We're going to go get you some painkillers." Zane stood up and started walking. As he passed Aphmau and Aaron, he gave Aaron a tiny nod. Aphmau was asleep, and it looked like Aaron had been keeping watch.
     He doesn't entirely trust us either. Zane realized.
     "Zane wait! I don't n-" Travis jumped up, then stumbled sideways. He grabbed his arm and gritted his teeth.
     "Travis!!" Zane ran back to him. "Are you okay?!"
     "Just... sore... and.. tired.." Travis was breathing heavily.
     Zane stared at him, extremely concerned and worried. "Go sit down. I'll bring you painkillers and water."
     Travis didn't argue. He stumbled back to his bed and sat down. Zane could tell that he was definitely sick and his arm definitely was sore.
     He couldn't have broken it... He can still move his arm. Maybe he did dislocate it, but put it back into place? That would explain why it's hurting him so bad.
     Zane ran out into the main room, glancing around to make sure that Aphmau and Aaron didn't steal anything. He grabbed the keys from beside the door and unlocked the break room. When he went inside, he searched for the medicines. Seeing the painkillers on a shelf, he grabbed the container, and then he spun around and grabbed a water bottle off of
the shelf. He ran out, locked the door, and sprinted back to the small warehouse.
     Aphmau was sitting next to Travis, talking to him quietly. Travis seemed to be listening. Aaron was watching from across the room, concerned.
     Zane sat quickly beside Travis and handed the pills to Aphmau, while he opened the water bottle and held it out to Travis. Travis took a small drink, then pushed the bottle away. Zane could feel that Travis had a fever now.
     Aphmau handed Zane two of the pills, and Zane nodded at her quickly.
     "Travis, you need to take these." Zane told him, holding out the pills.
     "I don't need them..." Travis mumbled. "I'll be fine. It's just a little fever. It's happened to me before, even before you came here..." Travis paused to take a deep breath. "I think it's a kind of sickness that's just caused by being around dead walker bodies."
     "Travis. Take the pills."
     Travis groaned, but took the pills from Zane. He threw them in his mouth, then took a long drink of water.
     "There." Zane said, sighing in relief. "Is this 'sickness' contagious?" He asked.
      "No.. only if you're near an old dead walker body."
     Zane pulled down his mask and leaned forward, and kissed Travis. Travis kissed back.
     "Are you sure you aren't dating?" Aphmau asked. Zane pulled back and nodded.
     "Why wouldn't we be sure?"
     "Well... you sure do kiss a lot. Aaron and I are dating and we don't even kiss that much."
     Zane shrugged. Travis slowly lay back down, covering himself with his blankets. Zane looked down at him, sighing.
      I hope this sickness doesn't last long.