Chapter Five

"Zane! Zane, wake up!! The snow's gone!"
     Zane's eyes opened slowly. Travis was sitting beside him and shaking his arm, a wide grin spreading across his face.
     "Wha..? It melted..?" Zane asked groggily.
     "Yes! Yes, come on! We can leave the store!"
     Zane stood up slowly, stumbling forward when he got to his feet. He looked up at Travis.
     "You look tired..." Zane said, noticing the dark bags under Travis's eyes.
     "I look tired? What about you, sleeping beauty?" Travis chuckled.
     Zane stared up at him, narrowing his eyes. Then he turned and walked out of the room. Even before he got to the window, he noticed that the window wasn't slightly blocked with snow anymore. He looked through the crack in the boards and saw that there were a few patches of snow left, but definitely not near as much as there had been the night before. But as he looked out the window, he saw a few walkers across the street.
     "You're right." He said quietly. Travis walked up to him.
      "Well, did you think I was lying?" Travis laughed.
       "No." Zane leaned closer to the window and stared out. The walkers were moving sluggishly down the street, most likely searching for something to eat.
      Zane jumped when Travis sneezed beside him.
     "Don't tell me I caught a cold.." Travis mumbled.
     "Did you?" Zane turned to him, looking closely at his face.
He does look a tiny bit pale, and it would explain why he seems so tired.
     "I hope not." Travis sighed. "Oh no. If it's a fever.."
     Zane reached up to his face, gently touching his neck, cheeks, and forehead. Travis's eyes sparkled.
     "I don't think so. You aren't warm."
     "I'm not warm. I'm hot." Travis snickered.
     Zane rolled his eyes, unable to stifle a laugh. "Sure you are."
     "Hey!" Travis giggled, shoving Zane.
     Zane shoved him back, laughing. Travis went to shove him again, but Zane jumped back. Travis followed him, giggling, as he chased him around the store.
     Suddenly, he leapt at Zane and grabbed his shoulders. Zane was laughing too hard to do anything but back up faster. His foot caught on the edge of one of the empty shelves, and he tripped backwards.
     He landed on the ground and grunted as the wind was knocked out of him.
     Then, he realized, that wasn't the only reason why he was having trouble breathing. Travis was laying on top of him.
He must have tripped too...
     "Zane! Are you okay?" Travis asked, sounding panicked.
     "Yeah! I'm fine!" Zane laughed breathlessly.
     Travis looked down at him for a moment. "That was my fault."
     "No, it.. wasn't..." Zane said slowly as he looked at Travis. Something about the way his eyes were shining made Zane's heart flutter, and made it even harder to breathe.
     Travis slowly reached up to Zane's face, then pulled down his mask. He blushed as Travis leaned down to him, and was surprised to find himself doing the same. Time seemed to move in slow motion as they drew closer.
     There was a loud bang on the window. Travis gasped and rolled off of Zane. He jumped up and ran over to the window, leaping backwards when a walker clawed at the glass in front of him. Zane scrambled to his feet and ran  to Travis, looking out the window as well. There was one walker in front of the window, but, Zane knew, it wouldn't take long for more to find them.
     He crept over to the table and grabbed Travis's knife, then went up to the door. Travis nodded at him, telling him that it was safe. As he pushed open the door, he tried to keep the thoughts of what had almost happened at the back of his head.
     The walker rushed over to him the second the door was open. Before Zane could react, it had a hold of his shoulders and was trying to bite him; it was only inches from his neck. Just then, Travis sprung out beside Zane and kicked the walker in the stomach. That gave Zane some time to grab one of its shoulders and spin it around, then stab the back of its head. His heart hammered in his chest as the walker collapsed at his feet. He kicked its 'dead' body away from the door and shut it, turning around to ask Travis if he was okay.
     Before he could even open his mouth, Travis jumped at him and wrapped his arms tightly around Zane in a bone-crushing hug.
     "THANK IRENE YOU'RE OKAY!" Travis hugged him even tighter.
     "I won't be okay if you keep this up!" Zane said, his voice barely audible.
     Travis stopped hugging him, but grabbed his arms instead.
     "You almost died..." Travis's voice sounded hoarse. "You could have been bitten and died on the spot.."
     "But you saved me." Zane finished for him.
     Zane smiled as Travis leaned forward again.
He keeps hugging me.. like i'll disappear if-
     Zane's thoughts were interrupted when instead of hugging him, Travis kissed him.
     Zane's shoulders tensed as he stopped breathing, but after a few seconds, he relaxed and wrapped his arms around Travis's neck.
Oh my Irene. This is happening. This is seriously happening.
     Zane felt Travis's hands move from his arms to his waist.
     After a while, Zane had to pull back for air. Travis looked into his eyes for a long moment, and Zane thought he could see a flicker of sadness. 
     "What's wrong..?" Zane asked quietly, his arms still wrapped around Travis's neck.
     "Nothing... Especially now that I kissed you." Travis smiled.
     Zane smiled back, but his smile faltered. Up close, Travis looked even more tired.
He has a cold!!! What if I catch it?!
    Just as Zane thought this, Travis turned his head and coughed.
     "Travis! What if I get your cold?!" Zane squeaked.
       "Oh... I'm sure you won't." Travis smiled, but it seemed forced.
     "Are you sure? At least one of us needs to be not sick!"
      "If you do get sick, you can use some of the medicine." Travis said simply.
     "But shouldn't we save it f-"
Furious knocking sounded at the door. Zane stiffened, while Travis looked concerned.
"Okay.." Travis whispered. "Let me get my gas mask and my gun. Stay back."
He rushed silently over to the table and grabbed his gas mask, putting it on quickly. As he walked to the door, the knocks sounded again, but even more fast and panicked. There was muffled talking, which told Zane that there were at least two people outside.
Travis grabbed his gun from beside the door. "Hello?" He asked, loud enough for the people outside to hear.
"L-let us i-in! P-please!" A female voice asked. She sounded cold, and even a little weak.
     "What weapons do you have with you?" Travis called cautiously. He nodded at the window, so Zane crept over and looked out. Two people were standing in front of the door, one male, one female, and they were huddled together. The wind was blowing their hair around wildly.
     "A knife." The male answered, and from what Zane could see, he was telling the truth. Travis looked at him expectantly, and Zane gave him a nod.
     Travis opened the door slowly, making it obvious he was holding a gun. Zane quickly pulled his mask over his mouth as they stepped inside, relaxing when they were out of the cold air.
     "What are your names?" Travis asked.
     "I'm Aaron, and this is Aphmau."