Chapter 21 : The secret of the Stone

It was a hard code, but when a team worked on it, it was sure it would be broken, finally. However... We all regretted at this moment. We regretted we harassed Dr Marcoh, we regretted we wasted our time so much.... Mostly the Elric brothers; Ed became a state alchemist for this matter after all! Now he had no reason to go on anymore... They thought they would never get their bodies back... As to me... Well I was disappointed. Never did I even imagine the stone could be made by tons of human lives! Never... I didn't know how to react. There had to be a mistake, it wasn't possible! There surely was another way!! Not human lives... It was too horrible.... Suddenly, the 2nd Lieutenant Ross opened the door.

-What's going on?! We heard you shout?! Are you alright?!

-We broke the code... Ed declared darkly.

-Then it's amazing!! sergent Brosh exclaimed.

-It's not amazing!! he yelled, it not amazing at all!!

-It's made of human lives.... Al told them.

The two soldiers' eyes widened. Ross put a hand on her mouth, speechless.

-It's horrible... she stated.

-Oh yes, it is, I nodded, the devil's work...

Ed sighed, frowning slightly, then turned himself toward the militaries.

-Do as if you never heard anything, he told them.

After that, they really started to argue. I didn't want to get into it at first... Ross was ad because Ed thought about giving up, after all we did to find a hint to make a Philosopher's stone. Brosh didn't say anything, neither did Al, nor me. I didn't want to get into it... I didn't want to argue, not today. Though...

-Why don't you just try again?! the 2nd lieutenant shouted.

-Because whatever we try we'll find the same thing, I declared at this moment.

Even if I hated arguing, we had to admit nothing would change our result. We didn't do any mistake, even if I wanted to believe it, I was sure we were right! Or Dr Marcoh would have been glad to give us the "recipe"! He wouldn't have been so reluctant, this spark of fear would have never appeared in his eyes! I wanted to say all of this, spit those words in their faces, but I just couldn't. I looked down and let myself fall on a chair, sighing. Then I had something in mind. I looked at Ed, who stared at me a moment. We may had the same idea...

-We found the truth right...? I asked him.

He nodded.

-You remember what Dr Marcoh said...?

I nodded too.

-"Find the truth..."

-"... Behind the truth" he finished.

My eyes sparkled as I grabbed his shoulders.

-We must find what's behind the truth!!!! I shouted.

-This is the answer!!!!! he yelled back.

We decided to go to the hotel room to think about it.

***

Finally, we found what we were looking for. We would have to investigate about the Fifth laboratory. Ed suspected they made weird experiences on the prisoners, because the jails were right next to it! I had a smart friend...
However... Ross and Brosh didn't want us to go out of the room! They locked us in!! Ugh... All of that because they told Armstrong, and now he knew, he was acting overprotective... I exchanged a look with the Elric brothers. If they thought we would be nice, they were so wrong!
We tied the blankets together to make a huge rope, that we then threw out of the window to climb out of the room. Once we were all ready, we went out, as silently as possible, and we ran toward the laboratory. The world seemed determined to be against us, because there had to be a stupid wall in front of the laboratory... I wondered how we would get here, when I had an idea. I clapped my hands together, while Al was helming his brother, by throwing him on top of the wall, ignoring the fences.