41) Betrayal

UNEDITED

I barely managed to jump out of the way just as Felicity swung the knife in my direction. I toppled over, rolling in the ground as I struggled to unsheathe my own weapon. When she sprung again, I rolled away, leaping up and trying to steady my footing. She tripped when her knife made contact with the ground instead of my flesh. Leo had been right in choosing my garment for this day. Beneath my dress wasn't a crinoline caging me in but instead, I was wearing trousers and hunting boots. With my dagger, I ripped apart my skirt to lessen the restriction of my movements.

"You intended to kill me all along, didn't you, sister?" I hissed.

She smirked. "As much as I'd want to, I can't. Come over Erinne and let me gut you with my knife. I'll make it slow that you'll beg me to kill you. But I won't."

I scoffed. "I'll send you back to hell where you belong."

Her eyes flashed and I knew I hit a sore spot. With an outraged yell, she charged forward again, this time with the force of a battering ram. She swished her deadly weapon and she managed to graze my left arm, creating a thin wound. Had I not dodged, I would've lost an arm. I tried to circle past her but she caught my ankle and kicked it hard, sending me sprawling to the ground, my dagger skidding out of my reach. She leapt on top of me and I gasped at the impact. Her weight knocked the breath out of my lungs. As if that wasn't enough, she punched my face and my head snapped to the other direction.

Ouch.

"You little bitch. You think you can run from me? While you spent your time frolicking in the gardens of the kingdom like a giggling brat, I spent my days training. Thinking of a time I'll be able to do this to you." she hissed viciously. "You don't know how hard it is knowing that you were valued more than me."

Another punch landed on my cheek. For a moment, I was stunned by the impact. I felt a trickle of blood on my nose and another on my busted lip. I squirmed underneath her, struggling to get free and when she cackled, I spat blood on her face. "Jealous, are we?" I grated.

I shouldn't probably provoke her any longer but nothing was more annoying than watching someone who looked exactly like you straddling you with a maniacal expression on their face. I was deceived by her small stature but looking up close, I could see that beneath her nightgown were strong muscles cultivated under harsh physical training.

"You shouldn't have said that." she said, her voice low. "I know she said I shouldn't kill you but I think I'd delight in taking your death." she raised her knife, aiming it to my heart and before she could strike, I managed to free my hand and I wasted no time in landing a blow on her chin.

Score!

She hissed, momentarily stunned and it was all I needed to get her off me. I pushed her off and with my fist, I banged her forehead. Before she could regain her foothold, I jumped out of her way, knowing I didn't stand a chance in close range combat.

While I still had the chance, I picked up a heavy rock and hurled it towards her. It hit her squarely on the chest. Her sharp intake of breath satisfied me.

I might not be good at fighting and maybe throwing a rock wasn't considered 'good' but if it looks stupid but works, it isn't stupid. I'd take any kind of advantage at this point. I didn't have my weapon, no fighting skills to speak of. I knew if Kyle didn't turn up soon, Felicity will kill me. I merely needed to buy myself time.

And buying time is what I'll do.

"Who are you working for?" I called out, putting as much distance between us. My dagger was on the other side of me and Felicity was slowly recovering her energy. I managed to bust her lip and injure her chin but I knew she was in far better condition than me. "I know she's not someone who wants me dead."