5. Il Muto

"They say that this youth has set my Lady's heart aflame! His Lordship, sure, would die of shock! His Lordship is a laughing-stock! Should he suspect her, God protect her! Shame! Shame! Shame!"

It is thrilling to sing before an audiance, but I can feel the other in the ensemble staring at me. You should've seen their faces when I sang at the rehearsal. They were so shocked.

"Serafimo, your disguise is perfect!" Carlotta sings and as I and my co-actors is standing at the edge of the stage, I glance at Christine. She is acting well, but I can see that she is tense. I wonder if she is thinking about what Erik will say about this.

Suddendly Erik's voice fills the opera.

"Did I not instruct that box 5 was to be kept empty?!"

"He's here, the phantom of the opera!" I hear Meg say over the noice.

"It's him.." Christine says and I hear Carlottas reply:

"Your part is silent, little toad!"

You'll regret that Carlotta..

The song starts over and Carlotta sings:

"Serafimo, away with this pretence! You cannot speak, but kiss me in my coaaaahhh"

Everyone is silent in shock, and Carlotta starts over.

"Poor fool, he makes me laugh, Hahahahaha- coahh coahh!"

Everyone starts laughing and Carlotta screams and flees backstage. The caos is real. Madame Giry suddendly takes my arm and drags me of the stage, but I could still see the stage. M. Firmin tries to get the audiences attention.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we apologize! The performance will continue in ten minutes' time ..." Firmin suddendly drags Christine up to him. "... when the role of the Countess will be played by Miss Christine Daae." The crowd cheers. "Meanwhile, we'd like to give you the ballet from Act Three of tonight's of tonights opera!"

Meg hurries up to us and grasps my arm.

"Cal, help me with the costume!"

Meanwhile I help her, Madame Giry gets Christine dressed in the Countess costume, and it's so ugly! The high wig and big dress is even more crappy IRL.

When we're done Meg hurries out on stage and I stand to watch. I look up in the ceiling, in an attempt to spot Joseph or Erik.

I hope he doesn't kill him..

A while into the ballet, a body suddendly falls to the ground. The ballerinas scream and runs backstage, and Meg comes to me and Madame. I just keep staring at the body of Joseph Buquet.

I told him that he must not kill people!

But Joseph gets up and screams:

"THE GHOST HE IS HERE! HE TOLD ME THAT I WOULD FALL WITH A SNARE AROUND MY NECK NEXT TIME, IF YOU DON'T DO AS HE SAYS!"

Then he runs backstage still screaming.

M. Firmin enters the stage again and in an attempt to calm the public he says:

"Please stay in your seats! The preformens will continue in a while, it was just a normal accident.."

I search for Christine and spot her and Raoul on their way to the roof. I sneak away from Madame Giry and Meg, and follow them up on the roof. I take shelter behind a statue, and spot the one that Erik is hiding behind.

Raoul and Christine is already singing "Why have you brought me here".

"Raoul, I've seen him! Can I ever forget that sight? Can I ever escape from that face?So broken and sad, he was hardly frightning, in that darkness... darkness..." Christine sings.

What?! That's not how the lyrics is! I don't understand... Or maybe.. Because different things happend the night before, then maybe her view of him is different? This will be exiting to hear!

"And his voice filled my spirit with a strange, sweet sound... In that night there was music in my mind... And through music my soul began to soar! And I heard as I'd never heard before..."

"What you heard was a dream and nothing more..." Raoul sings.

Oh just shut up Raoul!

"Yet in his eyes, all the sadness of the world. Those pleading eyes, that both threaten and adore." Christine sings and walks with her rose thight to her chest.

"Christine... Christine..." Raoul sings after her.

"Christine..." Erik sings.

"What was that? Where are you, angel?" Christine whispers and starts to walk to the other side of the roof, but Raoul grasps her arm.

"No more talk of darkness, forget this strange madman. I'm here nothing can harm you. My words will warm and calm you. Let me be your freedom, let daylight dry your tears. I'm here with you, beside you, to guard you and to guide you." He sings and Christine gazes up at him.

"Say you love me every waking moment, turn my head with talk of summertime." Raoul continues.

Hmm.. intresting..

"Say you need me with you now and always. Promise me that all you say is true. That's all I ask of you.." But he doesn't get the chans to continue further, because Christine interrupts him.

"Raoul.. We were childhood sweethearts once.. But I can't betray him like that! After all that he've been through.."

"Christine, Christine don't think that I don't care, but we must leave, before he gets you in his spell!" Raoul sings, but Christine just runs back down to the stage and shouts:

"Forgive me, Raoul, but the others wonder were I am!"

Raoul kicks a statue in his anger and shout/sings:

"You will curse the day you did not do all the little I asked of you!" Then he also return, and it leaves me and Erik alone on the roof.

I step out from my hiding spot and notice Erik standing on the edge of the roof, looking out over Paris.

"A suceed I would say. Don't you agree?" I say and he turnes to face me. His unmasked cheek is wet of tears and he smiles at me.

"She denied him.. for me.." he says and I can just smile back.

"Isn't it amazing Erik!" I say and jumpes up and down.

"Indeed, Carol, but you need to go back now. Those fools that runs my theater will be missing you." He says and I nod.

"Goodnight Erik!" I say as I leave the roof.

I must say that Christine did the role as Countess much better than Carlotta! And I got one of the boquets from Christine! When Me, Meg and Christine walked towards Christine's dressing room, Madame Giry stopped us.

"Viscount de Chagny has left." She says and Christine gets pale.