Chapter Seven

"Did you get any sleep last night?" Phil asked Sam, who sat wide awake in the same seat they left him in. His face was pale and his eyes had dark circles under them.

Jess was next to him curled up In a ball asleep with her blanket wrapped around her.

Sam sat silently looking down at the ground. He slowly shook his head.

"Sam I get it," Dan said who was also crouching by Sam, "I understand how you feel, but loosing sleep and not eating isn't worth it,"

Just then Jess woke up and looked around confused before realising where she was. "Everything okay guys?" She asked

Dan and Phil nodded

"When can we see her?" Asked Sam

Jess stood up and liked through the window. "Well, she's awake." She said "so hopefully soon,"

As she said that Dr. Floor and Nurse Andy walked in the room, greeting both Caitlyn and nurse Ella.
The doctor removed the breathing mask and replaced it with a nose thing that helps you breathe (A/N: idk what they're called help).

Nurse Andy then walked out and the four of them stood up. "You'll be allowed in soon.
After Dr. Floor leaves, give it about 10 minuets until you can see her. But please, one at a time."

"Yes, thank you." Replied Phil before they say back down again.

about twenty minuets later Sam came out and Dan went in.

He slowly walked up to Caitlyn and sat by her bed which was up in a seated position, Nurse Ella was sat in the corner of the room.

"Hey Danny," she said holding onto his hand.

"How are you?" He asked

"I feel weak, but ok at the moment."

Dan frowned

Caitlyn looked around. "This room brings back so many memories," she said

"Yeah," replied Dan "I never thought we would see it again,"

"I never thought I would be the reason we're seeing it again."

They where quiet for a moment

Caitlyn looked down at Daniel's hand she was holding and smiled.
"When did he propose?"

Dan looked down at the ring and smiled "Two days ago, he said you helped with the ring,"

"Just like how you helped with mine." She replied.

They smiled and where quiet again.

"You've got a good soulmate Daniel,"

"As do you, Caitlyn."

They giggled

"He's a mess right now, its reminding me of us when Dad was like this." Said Dan

"I'm so sorry," Caity half whispered "I didn't want you to go through this again. And I can't leave Sam, it's only been two months." She began to cry.

"Caitlyn!" Dan said sympathetically, putting his hand on her shoulder and rubbing her arm.
"Everything's going to be okay, I understand how frightened you must be to be leaving your Husband, brother, grandparents and friends. But you just have to be strong, just like Dad. He knew he was going when he knew we needed him, but look at us now. Yes it took time but in the end everything turned out well... Caity don't cry!" He chocked before tears rolled down his own face.

The familiar voice and sentence of 'Caity don't cry,' filled Caitlyn's ears reminding her of the past and the strength she grew throughout the years.
Her tears stopped and she looked up, hugging her crying little brother.

"I won't cry if you help us stay strong!" She whispered. Just like her reply for every time he used to say that.

The Punk
After Dan, it was Phils turn to go in.
Dan walked out of the room and Phil took him into his arms rubbing his back as he sobbed silently.

"Shh, it's going to be ok," Phil whispered. Dan nodded and they broke apart. Dan sat down next to Jess who put a hand on his arm.

Phil opened the door and sat down next to his future Sister-in-law who wiped away tears.

"Are you okay?" He asked

She nodded "I'm trying to be," she said with a humble smile

"It's ok not to be," he replied

"I know," she said

It was quiet for a moment

"Take care of him," said Caitlyn

"Already on it," Phil smiled. Caity smiled back

"The proposal went well I assume,"

"It was the best, I did it in the park right next to the Daisy field near the lake as the sun was setting."

"That's so cute! Did he cry?"

"Yep,"

She giggled "of course he did," she looked down and the smile faded slightly "You boys are lucky to have each other. If my parents where still here they'd be over the moon... I'm lucky I made it in time."

"You'll do just fine, you'll see. Everything's going to be ok. Stay strong for your boys."

She smiled and nodded "I will," she rubbed his arm.

"I'm so happy Danny has you for a soulmate. You're so gentle and happy and reassuring,"

"I'm glad you think that about me, I'm usually looked at and assumed I'm scary. But you and Dan think otherwise, you're too pure for this world. It makes me feel special to have you two I my life and it hurts to think you guys have been through such pain you don't deserve."

"Everyone goes through pain." Caitlyn replied "some more than others, it's a thing nobody can avoid. Pain teaches us things and can test out way of looking at life.
Some people accept pain, they take it in and let it eat them away, others will push their way through pain and and come out the other side feeling strong and accomplished, some might use pain and climb on top of it, finding a new angle and turning it into an opportunity of growth and development. Then there are those who push their pain away from them and onto others who might have their own struggles."

Phil thought for a moment about what type of taker of pain he is, he guessed he was one who pushed through and came out the other end, he knew Dan and Caitlyn were ones to climb on top of it and find a better angle. He smiled at her observance.

"You're so sweet you are," he told her.

"Thank you," she said politely "you're a wonderful person Phil, I hope you know that,"

"I do now," he said with a grin

They both giggled and went quiet

"Take care of my family," Caity said breaking the silence "... I mean, you already have, but I guess what I'm trying to say is you're doing well and I'm so thankful for that. Keep it up."

"You're welcome," replied Phil
"...and we never know, you could survive this,"

"Maybe... Maybe not... We'll see..."

"You're a strong girl Caitlyn Howell," Phil said before standing up and kissing her forehead.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he said.
Caitlyn waved goodbye and he left the room.

When he came out, Jess went in before the four of them went back to Jess's house.

Hope was running thin for this odd but happy family. Caitlyn's troublesome illness was hurting everyone and life and happiness was slowly fading away and there was nothing anyone could do about it.