Chapter 2- Arrival & Evening

The Cabin

Skyline Drive - 3:12 PM

"Woah! This is insane!" Baylee stared out the window, marveling at the amazing cabin that their cars had just pulled up to.

It was like a palace; wooden structures covered in blankets of snow, from the enormous roof to the frosted staircase to the patio and deck hidden under piles of the latest downfall.

Everybody piled out and retrieved their bags and suitcases, with the exception of Kristin at Kevin's insistence. Together they trudged through the snowy walkway to the front door, and the keys were pulled from the envelope it had been sent in.

"Welcome home, guys," A.J. announced as the door was pushed open and everyone scrambled inside from the cold.

The living room was large and spacious, three couches and two reclining chairs over a beige carpet. An entertainment center sat in the corner next to a large stone fireplace, with a hi-def television and stereo system. Next to that was a bookshelf, with one row filled with a collection of DVDs family friendly and varying from Disney to Tim Burton.

On the other side of the room was the kitchen, fully equipped with a double oven and microwave, six burner stove and two refrigerators surrounding an island countertop. Cupboards were stacked with clean dishes and serving platters, drawers held utensils ready for use.

"Oh my gosh, this is gorgeous!" Leigh marveled. "I can't believe we get to stay here a whole week!"

Baylee, Mason and James immediately went for the TV.

"Hold it!" Brian called out. "Unpacking first, fun later. There's still a bunch of groceries out there, why don't you lend a hand?"

The boys groaned, but joined their fathers back outside to carry in the shopping bags.

3:32 PM

Groceries put away and luggage carried upstairs, the families found the seven bedrooms that had been promised.

The kids were sorted by their age range for who shared a room with who, except for the two little ones. Since they were still very young, Odin and Sasha would sleep in their parents' rooms with them.

Baylee, Mason and James were put in one room, while Ava, Max, and Holden went to the other.

After putting the babies down for a nap, Lauren and Rochelle volunteered to start cooking dinner. As they began gathering ingredients together, the rest of the wives joined them taking up the chairs at the breakfast nook.

"This'll be nice, spending time all together," Kristin said smiling. "And getting away from the craziness back home!"

Lauren laughed as she poured a can of crushes tomatoes into a pan. "I'm with you on that one," she agreed.

"Goodness knows it'll probably be even bigger for you and Kevin, honey," Leighanne told her cousin in law, who nodded with a sigh.

"You must be excited, huh?" Rochelle said to her pregnant friend excitedly. "It's getting down to the wire!"

"Yeah," Kristin replied as she chuckled and shook her head. "It'll be wonderful having another baby, but personally I'll be glad to have my husband off my back!"

They all laughed.

In a moment the three other women offered to contribute to the meal in some way, and so Lauren had Kristin and Leigh help her chop up some herbs while Leighanne brainstormed dessert ideas with Rochelle as they threw together some vegetables to prepare.