Chapter 22

Everyone was silent.
Chara was silently crying into Asriel's shoulder,
"Im sorry. I'm so sorry, I-"
Asriel didn't hesitate to shush her again,
"Chara. Be quiet. You're fine." He said. His tone firm, yet gentle.

"None of us hate you. Frisk doesn't think any less of you, and Mom understands. I still love you. No one is upset, and you have no reason to apologize." Asriel said.

Silence.
Then, Chara pulled away,
"Don't tell me to be quiet," Chara said, though completely jokingly.
Asriel sighed, and as if it didn't happen, Chara smiled,
"Well!! Busy day! I'm sure we are all,, tired,, but we need to get what we need to do done. Starting with priorities, we need to go into town and get Frisk some clean clothes." Chara said.

Asriel envied Chara's quick changes of behavior.
Sometimes, he knew, it hurt her to pretend nothing happened.
Sometimes it's for the better.
And perhaps it's good this melt down happened. After many years, her family finally knows why she acted the way she did, and many emotions she kept between herself and Asriel had been opened and revealed. That Chara wasn't just a cheerful smile with no feeling behind it.

Frisk seemed a bit confused, but didn't argue.
Chara smiled,
"We'll go when everyone is ready, of course," Chara said.

Chara felt odd, the burning hatred within her quickly turned into adrenaline and excitement. A carefreeness that changed her whole perspective.
The determination to get things done.

Toriel smiled faintly, and said nothing.
She was too confused to do anything.

Frisk chimed in,
"I'm ready!" She announced.

Chara lifted Frisk with ease,
"Howa' bout you, Asriel?" She asked

"Ready." Asriel commented

Chara smiled brightly,
"Alright! Let's go!" She said happily, rushing outside with Frisk in her arms.

Asriel glanced to Toriel,
"Im so sorry about that. She, uh.. Chara isn't very comfortable about talking about that very often. She only ever told me once or twice.." Asriel said.

"don't worry. She seems far more happy, now. Go on, have fun!" Toriel insisted,
"You're far too over worked now-a-days, my child." Toriel said.

Asriel smiled, and hugged Toriel,
"Thank you, mom, for everything." He whispered, before walking outside to follow Chara