8 - I trust a stranger - Percy

I woke up to Artemis shaking me. She looked troubled, which of course made me troubled too. If something can make a goddess like Artemis uneasy then it isn't something good. "Daisy, wake up!" she said. I sat up in my bed, trying to get the sleepiness from my eyes before saying, "Artemis what are you doing up this early? Has something happened?" Artemis only gestured for me to follow.

We walked out of the tent and into the woods. We stopped about half a mile away from the border of your camp. Artemis nodded towards a couple of logs that were lying on the ground. After we had sat she said, "I think I know who that guy is." I was confused for a second before I said, "What are you talking about?"

Artemis sighed and said, "Al, from the dream." I blinked a couple of times and asked, "Who is he then?" Artemis looked a little queasy before saying, "Humans named him Michael but his actual name was Aurelius. His nickname, Al, came from Aurelius."

I stared at Artemis. "How did you know that?" I asked. She buried her face in her hands. "I don't know. I really hope I knew more. It's like these bits and pieces of information come to me randomly. I've had quite a bit of these dreams concerning those seven lately. I want to see more but the same time I'm also afraid of seeing something I would have to report to the council. These dreams feel too... personal," she said.

"I know. Sometimes it feels like I am interfering with someone else's life," I said. I really wanted to know what she had seen but as she said, those dreams are quite personal and I didn't want to ask something so personal from a goddess.

Sitting there, her head in her hands, Artemis looked quite fragile. She wasn't crying but she wore a sad expression. It was uncommon to see Artemis show any weakness, especially near a male. I got the urge to comfort her, to make her feel better. Although I didn't do anything. I knew there were limits to Artemis' hospitality and I didn't want to test those.

And I had to admit, I had enjoyed my stay with the hunters. Once you got to know them, and you made sure you are not a male, they were actually pretty fun people to hang around with. Sadly, I also knew I couldn't stay with them forever. I had already stayed with them for two months and thirteen days. And that was already stretching my luck.

I had learned quite a bit during my stay with the hunters. For example, now I could fight with knives nearly as well as with a sword. I was still bad with a bow but I had definitely improved. Nowadays I could hit somewhere near the target. The hunters also taught me to use throwing knives. I didn't even know they used those.

Seems like I got sidetracked. Blame the ADHD.

I was so lost in thought I didn't realize Artemis had stood up and offered her hand for me. I woke up from my thoughts when Artemis waved her hand in front of my face. I looked up, blushed slightly and took the hand she was offering. She pulled me up and said, "I have to go back to camp and check on the hunters," before starting jog towards our camp.

I stood there for a moment, thinking about my dreams and what just happened. Slowly I started to make my way after Artemis. I was nearly there when a surge of pain suddenly went through me, sending me to my knees and letting a scream of pain out of my mouth. The last thing I saw before blacking out was a flash of silver and Artemis appearing next to me.

When I woke up, I saw the panicked face of Artemis. She was holding her hand over my body, beads of sweat running down her forehead. "What happened?" I asked groggily. Startled, Artemis' concentration broke and the silvery glow that had surrounded me died. Artemis let out a couple of curse words, before regaining her concentration.

"Something happened and your disguise vanished. The Olympians will sense the sudden appearance of your aura and be here any moment soon," she said. Fear started to creep up my spine and it became hard to breath. "Then I will leave immediately. Flash away so you won't be associated with me," I said. Artemis quickly glanced at me before saying, "Of course not, I will defend you. The Olympians have to realize what they are doing is not right." I took hold of her wrists and said, "No, you could be banished from Olympus or even worse, made mortal and killed for treason. It's better I just go, I can take care of myself. Plus, that Aurelius guy told me in a dream that he was waiting for me. I will trust him and just go, fate will do what's destined to happen to me."

Artemis looked sadly at me for a moment before conjuring a backpack and giving it to me. "Very well then, I take your words you won't die. I don't want to be the one to tell Sally that her only son died," she said. I nodded and stood up from the ground I was still laying on.

"Good luck. Maybe the fates be with you throughout your journey. I hope we will meet again in more peaceful matters," she said, kissed my cheek and vanished in a flash of silver. I just stood there, not having a care in the world. That was until I heard the angry shouting. "There he is, seize him!" shouted a voice of a man.

I snapped out of my trance and started running deeper into the forest. I knew I could just fight them but I didn't want to hurt any of them, they were still my family in a way or another. Plus, I didn't really think it would've looked very good on in front of Zeus if I happened to get captured.

I kept running, until a man landed in front of me and I tripped over a rootstock. I was halfway through my fall when there was a flash of white and everything froze. I was still halfway through falling. I looked around me and found out that I was surrounded by a dozen of men. I had run straight into a trap. I tried to move but turns out, I couldn't.

"I didn't stop the time," came a voice from my right. "This is how you would see the world if your senses didn't obstruct you." I was turned around so I could see the speaker. It was Aurelius, the one who had given me the warning. He was standing next to me, smiling softly. "It has been a long time, old friend," he said. "But this is not the time for remembrance. I am here to ask you a question."

Even though I was totally confused I also noticed that his speaking was different. He spoke more normally, he didn't have that ancient glimmer in it. His voice was still melodic and kind but he was seemingly younger, about 18 or 19 years old. I wanted to ask him how was he alive if I saw him die but I still couldn't move my muscles.

"I'd advise against trying to move. You can't since your body is not used to this form. And I know you will have a lot of questions but now's not the time," he said. "I am Aurelius, as Artemis already told you. Do you want to come with me? I could hide you from the gods. And don't worry about your mom or friends, I can ensure you they will be fine. I wanted to give you the freedom of choice, otherwise I would've just flashed you out of here a long time ago."

I know what you are thinking, are you seriously going to trust a stranger? But this was Aurelius we were talking about, the guy who seemed to know me and who was a really good fighter. And he wasn't against the gods, as far as I know, so why couldn't I trust him? Slowly, my body started to adapt to this new form. I still couldn't speak. I settled for a simple nod.

Aurelius' smile grew and he took hold of myshoulder. Snapping his fingers, everything seemed to become normal again, andwe shot up to the sky.