Feelings

Betty had been thinking a lot about what Kevin had said to her at the drive-in. To be completely honest she'd thought of very little else since then. He'd done her a favour though as it had made her finally confront the feelings she'd had been trying to put to the back of her mind.

Although she tried to deny it at the time it all made sense. Whenever Veronica said her name, Betty could feel her heart skip a beat and whenever Veronica smiled at her she could feel herself momentarily struggle for breath. She had fallen for her best friend- and fallen hard.

Right on cue, in walked Veronica with two coffees. The brunette promptly said: "I knew I'd find you in here and I was pretty sure you would be in need of caffeine so I am here bearing coffee". Betty couldn't hide her smile as Veronica knew her favourite kind of coffee, it was like she could read her mind- which right now wasn't entirely a good thing.

They were soon joined by Kevin and Betty asked: "does your dad have any idea who broke in and stole his files?" Kevin replied: "not right now, but he's pretty sure that whoever did had something to do with Jason's death- surely it's too much of a coincidence.

The girls noticed that Kevin seemed pretty keen to change the subject so they promptly did just that. Veronica saying: "so Betty, we still on for tomorrow night?" To which Betty replied: "like I'm going to bail on a movie night with you. Of course we're still on".

Kevin had to try very hard to not say anything at that point. Betty and Veronica were his friends and he could see they felt the same way about each other, but it was up to them to be honest and open up about their feelings.

The moment was interrupted by Cheryl reminding them that they had River Vixen practice in a few minutes. Betty and Veronica both loved being on the Vixens but Cheryl did make it difficult. For somebody who was grieving her brother it was very hard to have much sympathy for her.

Later on in the day, Kevin saw Veronica by herself and said: "can I ask you something?" Veronica replied: "yeah of course". Despite what he'd thought earlier, Kevin knew he had to say something so he asked directly: "are you in love with Betty?"

Veronica knew there was no point denying it, replying: "truly, madly, hopelessly. I want to tell her I love her more than anything but I've already had one friend reject me because of my sexuality and I'd never forgive myself if history repeated itself. I didn't actually have feelings for my other friend but with Betty I want to be with her so much it hurts".

Kevin had to choose his words carefully. He wanted to give Veronica advice as a friend, but he didn't want to break Betty's trust and reveal what she said to him at the drive in. Eventually he said: "I've been exactly where you are. It's always best to be honest".

Veronica thanked Kevin for his advice and agreed that she needed to tell Betty how she feels soon. She just wanted to make sure the timing was right and now didn't seem like the right time. They were both going through a lot of family problems and needed each other's support- not to add an extra complication.

That night Betty and Veronica had a movie night at the Lodge's hotel. Hermione was out for the night with Fred and, although Veronica made it clear she wasn't happy about her mum spending so much time with another man while her dad was in prison it meant she could spend the evening with Betty.

Naturally neither of them wanted to cook so they got take out from Pops before settling in for the evening, enjoying the chance to get away from all the drama going on for a change. When it was just the two of them nothing else mattered.

Secrets seemed to be a part of the way of life in Riverdale. Some needed to be revealed, some were better off staying hidden- but when it comes to secrets involving feelings the only thing for sure is they can never stay hidden forever