Travel and Smoke

Start writing your story

I rushed home after work. I needed to be mentally prepared for this so called "dinner". How am I supposed to enjoy it when my eternal crush's fiancé is joined by her lover, which is his best friend. How could he, Joseph I mean. They've known each other since preschool.

I got home and stated calling for Savannah.

"Sav? Where are you? I need you! It's a crisis!" The neighbors must think I've gone mad.

I saw Sav coming down the stair in pajamas. "Girl, chill" she said scratching her hair, "what time is it?"

"It's five in the afternoon. Have you been sleeping all this time?"

She drowsily walked into the kitchen leaving me behind in the hallway. "Yeah, a horse decided to go into labor at like 2 in the morning. When I got home you where gone to work." She said as she poured herself a glass or juice. "Anyways, what's this crisis you are ranting about?"

"Remember how you did some weird, shady, barely-legal stuff on the computer that you found some of Cara's messages?"

"Yeah? Joey-goodtime or something." she answered unimpressed taking a bite of a doughnut.

"Well, I figured out who he is"

Her widened in disbelief. "Spill girl, spill it!"

"Remember Joseph King from high school?"

"Yeah, he was practically Kyle's brother, what does this have to do wi..." her face transformed as realization kicked in. "No way?! Cara is having an affair with Joseph!"

"Yup"

"How did you find out?"

"I saw them kissing and entering an on-call room. And I kinda, may have confronted Cara about it." I said with an innocent smile

"You did what? Girl, you crazy!"

"It's not fair! She has the guy I've been crazy for since high school and she decides to full around with his best friend."

"Did you tell Kyle?"

"I can't. No matter how much I want, it's not my place to speak. I'll keep my mouth shut, but she better tell him. If by the day before the wedding she hasn't, I'll tell him."

"Yeah, I'd like to see that" she said with a scoff and turning around to rinse her cup.

"What do you mean with that?"

"You are going to hide your feelings for him, stand Cara, and not tell him that his future wife is having an affair with his best friend. You won't last a week with all that information" she said with a taunting smile.

I hated to admit it to myself, but she's right. How will I survive this? The guilt will consume me at some point. I just don't want to see him hurt. That will truly break me.

My thoughts were interrupted with Sav's phone ringing.

"Yes...this is her...uhu...great.....thank you, it's an honor....yes....you won't be disappointed sir....thank you, good bye"

She hung up and let out an extremely high-pitched squeal.

"What's wrong? What is it?" I asked scared

"Remember the transfer to Thailand I applied for?" she said smiling from ear to ear

"No way! You got in?"

"Yes!"

We couldn't contain our emotions and started screaming and jumping and hugging each other. Now our neighbors must think we are both mad.