Chase

Today was hard. Everywhere I looked there was Elmy. She always seemed far away but I could see her. Right in front of me. She didn't smell like a hunter but it all started to make sense. She didn't believe when I told her to, I just brushed her when reaching for the book which normaly would give me access to her every thought but there was nothing. She is a hunter. She is going to kill me. I had to keep reminding myself that she was a ruthless killer that has slaughtered many of my people before. Which is very hard to believe considering how kind and small and quiet she is. Josie noticed my distance today. Josie, the most obvious girl in Maybee. By obvious I mean she's obviously pretty, she's obviously popular, she's obvious.

"Are you ok?" She asked when her friends dissolved into the masses.

"What? Oh, yeah. Just tired." She pouted.

"Too tired for our little get together tomorrow?" She asked, her eyes all big and cute.

"Luther would never let me live it down." She smiled and swung her hips all the way to class. I slipped into my physics class, late, of course. I'm not what one would call a good student. But the handy old mind control takes care of that for me. My heart skipped a beat when I saw Elmy sitting in the front of the class, her head shoved into a book. I rarely ever come to this class. No wonder I don't remember her. I took the initiative to sit down next to her. What is she going to do? Stab me in the middle of class?

"Hey, bookstore girl." She looked up, saw me, glanced at her book, glanced back at me, back at her book, sighed and then shut her book. She didn't have time to protest my new seat because PJ, a perv, came up and did it for her.

"Hey, man, that's my seat." I smiled, flashed my lovely gold eyes.

"Go find another seat." He looked at her and then shuffled along. Dammit, she has cleavage today. His thoughts practically yelled at me. I looked at her, that sounds wrong, I just wanted to see if I could get her to cover up. Her shirt was a V-neck that had a mind of its own. Josie wears shirts like that. I don't mind when Josie wears shirts like that. I took off my jacket and practically threw it at her.

"Cover up," I ordered. I flashed my eyes. Ok, I'm going to try and explain this. When I use mind control, I usually can feel it click in their head but that doesn't happen with her. She did follow my order, though. It was way too big for her, she pushed up the sleeves and took notes while the teacher lectured about waves. The bell rang and she started to unzip my jacket to give it back.

"Don't," I flashed my eyes. Nothing. She shook her head and tried to hand it to me.

"I have a jacket," She said quietly.

"Give it back to me tomorrow," She shook her head again and held the jacket out to me.

"Tomorrow's Saturday."

"Precisely, I'm having a welcome home party for my brother, you should come." She left the jacket on the table and started walking away. I snatched it and ran after her. Damn, she can move fast. "At least let me give you my number so you can send me the notes." She stopped at her locker. I took note of where it is for future reference.

"I don't have a phone." She said quietly. I had to lean in to hear her in all the commotion. I grabbed a sticky note and pen from her locker and scribbled down my number and address. I gave her the note and jacket, I didn't even try to flash my eyes this time.

"See you at tomorrow at seven!" I shouted at her as I ran down the hallway. Luther will know what to do with her.