Chapter 3: Chase

Things went down and they won't be going back up. I had picked Luther up and he was oddly quiet. I left Josie in my bed that morning and craved her touch even now. Even in this gray area. Chase told me that Elmy won't be attending Maybee high school anymore. I wasn't heartbroken or worried I wouldn't see her again. If Luther wasn't in the picture, I would love her, but I'm smarter than that.

I dropped Luther off at home and Josie and I went for brunch. She was happy and bubbly about making a new friend, Elmy. Elmy would be saying something much different. After Brunch I dropped her off at home, that's when shit started. She went inside. She screamed. I ran inside. Josie's parents are out of town on vacation but they didn't take the cat with them. Josie's cat was skinned and nailed to her living room wall. Josie had a gun pointed to her head. Mr. Rivet. He made her tie me up and dial Elmy. Ada answered and said Elmy was on a date and she didn't know when Elmy would be back. A date, that explains Luther's silence. I guess it doesn't matter that he's in the picture. Ada said she'll have Elmy call Josie back when she gets home. Mr. Rivet paced back and forth while we waited for hours. Josie kept crying and asking questions. I tried to calm her down the best I could.

"How are you going to get her here?" He looked at me, giving me permission to continue. "She can't drive, Luther can't pick her up, I have the car, it's a nice plan but you should have thought it out." He looked at his gun then looked me.

"She'll figure out a way." Josie started freaking out again and pleading for him to let us go. She offered money and everything she had. It will never be enough. The phone rang. Josie answered.

"Elmy?"

"Yeah, what's up Josie?" Mr. Rivet snatches up the phone.

"Elmira, dear, Josie would love if you came over for a little sleepover. See you in thirty, don't forget your footy-pj's." He hung up. And aimed at Josie. I couldn't even scream. I just watched as he pulled the trigger and she went limp. I was next.

After my heart stopped beating, I expected to float away and go to whatever is after life. But I was stuck in my body, watching everything play out. Luther opened the door and Elmy followed. Mr. Rivet fired a shot at Luther who successfully dodged it. Elmy flashed her eyes and made him put his gun down. I couldn't hear anything. Elmy's eyes were bright gold. She instructed her father to leave, Luther chased after him. Next, she ran to me and tried to bring me back I couldn't feel her but I wanted to. I want to feel her. Luther came back and approached me. He touched me but I couldn't feel him. Everything went black and then I opened my eyes and started gasping for breath. I screamed in pain as my body healed around the bullet. Elmy was just crying and sitting by Josie's body.

"You're going to be ok, you're going to be ok..." Luther tried to comfort her but she pushed him away.

"Bring her back!" Part of me is gone, I feel nothing for Josie, she's gone with that part of me. Luther looked at me for confirmation. I shook my head 'no'. Elmy watched confused.

"Why? What... what's wrong with you?" I sat down next to her, next to Josie. She looked so sad so torn up, so guilty. I placed my hand over where the bullet went through me.

"Josie isn't like us, she won't heal, bringing her back would just cause her more pain." The bullet had hit Josie right between the eyes. Everything that made Josie Josie now has a bullet in it. I reached out to touch Elmy, to comfort her. She ran out. Before Luther ran after her I told him I would take care of the cops.