Elmy

Luther left, leaving me to another sleepless night. I felt safe in his arms, so at least I got a little sleep. There was a tap on the window. I stepped out to see Luther standing below with a sour look on his face.

"Chase left without me." Ada is going to have a fit when she sees him tomorrow morning. I let him in through the sliding doors and made myself some coffee. He didn't speak. He must be tired. Tired of me, tired of Chase, tired of having to save my life every other second. I sat at the kitchen table, sipped my coffee, and read. Ada waddled in and gave Luther, who was sitting on the counter with a pouty face, a strange look. She calmly grabbed a butcher knife from the drawer.

"Did you do that to her face?" She asked plainly like she threatens people with butcher knives every day. I was freaking out, internally, of course.

"No, ma'am," she looked at the butcher knife then back at Luther.

"Did you at least beat shit out of who did?"

"Sawyer beat me to it." Ada put the butcher knife back with a smile. Luther continued to pout while Ada poured herself a cup of coffee and joined me.

"Sawyer, such a sweet boy, I'm glad you met," she looked at the book I was reading at squinted her eyes. "If only my eyes were still good. Even with telescopes I'm squinting!" We both laughed. "He will be here tomorrow, Sawyer, my grass is get too long." Luther shifted.

"When is grumpy boy going home?" I looked to Luther for him to answer for himself.

"Chase left me and he's not answering his phone." Ada flashed a wicked smile at me.

"Poor boy, I guess he'll have to stay here." She winked at me. I blushed and shook my head. She downed the rest of her coffee and put the mug in the sink. She poked him before she left. "No funny business." Luther hopped off the counter and looked to me, his eyes were empty, like he had just shut off his emotions.

"Where am, I sleeping?" he asked plainly. I opened my book and started where I left off.

"Wherever you want." He stormed upstairs, leaving me to my book and now empty mug.

I finished the book and went upstairs to grab a new one that I won't exactly read but I'll look at the words on the page. I turned on the light, grabbed a book from the shelf and turned to my bed to see Luther in my bed, sleeping, his clothes folded neatly on the floor. I sucked it up and grabbed a blanket from one of the other beds and went to my balcony. It was too dark to read so I just watched the sky and the world around me. The tension between Luther and I was strong enough to break down the walls of Ada's home and leave both of us upset. Despite being upset that he is here, I felt safe, safe enough to close my eyes.

I was shaken awake. It's still dark, it's still night. Luther was kneeling in front of me, he scowled at me. I was now laying on the cold hard floor of the balcony and shivering even though I had a blanket around me.

"Get inside, idiot." Luther said standing up. I sat up, Luther pulled me up to stand. I looked at him, really looked at him. His cleanly shaven face, his tired eyes, his bedhead. He's pleasing to the eye. Would it be so wrong to love him? Would it be a conflict of interest? Would I be stuck with him for eternity? When he kissed me, I could feel his love, his thoughts of love and passion. It was scary. When Sawyer kissed me, and touched me, he felt he was lucky. Without thinking I put a hand over Luthers heart, I felt his bare skin, his heart beat increase.

"Stop, stop, stop, stop," he thought repeatedly. I took my had back. He rolled his eyes and went back in. I followed. He looked at the bed waiting to see if I would take it. I didn't.