Chapter Ten

"That was an unexpected event," Moonpaw mewed, as he and Weaselpaw were discussing Raventalon on their seven-moon-old birthday. They had started learning advanced moves in battle training now. Grayfoot had let Moonpaw take a day off from training, because they had trained into the night, learning how to fight in the dark. Weaselpaw still hadn't gone to sleep, insisting he should always be alert. "You won't be alert if you're tired," Moonpaw had objected.

Moonpaw had taken a long catnap from the early rises of the sun till now, sunset. They had learned all about the Gathering which had happened the day before, and nothing interesting but a casual border skirmish between WindClan and RiverClan. RiverClan had won the skirmish after they were accused of crossing very aggressively. WindClan said that someone from ShadowClan or ThunderClan should come and scent the lonely bush. Though RiverClan had crossed the borders, it was because their medicine cat needed an herb from ThunderClan territory.

Weaselpaw nodded, wakening Moonpaw from his thoughts. "I can't believe he'd pull such a horrible thing to do!" Weaselpaw exclaimed. "We should attack ShadowClan!" Moonpaw shook his head. "The battle is won, I guess there's not much else to do," he retorted. "Wise words, Moonpaw," came a voice. Moonpaw and Weaselpaw twitched in surprise. Yew-wing was there. "But Moonpaw, we did not win." Moonpaw's eyes widened in surprise. "We lost territory to this. ShadowClan won the fight and set new borders the next day. Borders far into ThunderClan territory. I feel as if we live on a strip of land," Weaselpaw flattened his ears and hissed. "We should fight for some back!" Yew-wing slowly shook his head. "We are too weak. We should wait until Barkclaw's kits are old enough. They were born on the same day as your apprentice ceremony." 

Moonpaw had to agree with Yew-wing, which didn't surprise him. When Yew-wing had been made a warrior, one of his virtues had been wisdom. Moonpaw hoped to get this virtue, so he always tried to think before he agreed and disagreed to stuff. A yowl sounded from the camp entrance. "INTRUDERS!" Weaselpaw and Moonpaw got to their paws. "We'll fight!" Weaselpaw insisted. Yew-wing thought for a moment. "You only know a few advanced moves. I would let you fight... but I won't." A screech of fear sounded faintly from the WindClan border. 

"Go see to them," Hawkstar croaked. His voice was strangely coarse, and he smelled of catmint and sickness. 

The air was cold, and wind started blowing through the camp, bringing the first scents of Leaf-bare and snow. The cat who had yowled, Ripplefawn, nodded. He turned tail and ran towards the WindClan border. "Mommy, it's cold!" complained Littlekit. "I know, dear." Barkclaw sighed. "Go get Ebonykit and Drizzlekit," Weaselpaw flicked his ears. "Speaking of them, where are they?" Barkclaw's eyes filled with fear, and Yew-wing screeched, "ARE THEY MISSING? SEARCH THE CAMP!"

After they searched, only stale scents of Ebonykit and Drizzlekit lead into the forest. Just then, a cat that looked a lot like Milkfoot, emerged into camp. "This is Rose," introduced Grayfoot. She was carrying a tiny kit in her jaws. "This is Gorse," rasped Rose. Soon, snow piled up in the camp. Ebonykit and Drizzlekit were still missing. Gorse was a ginger kit with pale stripes. He was small and wet, probably newborn. 

Moonpaw padded over to Rose and rested his tail on her shoulders. "Come," he mewed, leading her to the nursery. Littlekit looked at Gorse. "He's small like me!" she meowed. When Rose put Gorse down and watched Littlekit snuggle up with him, Barkclaw looked at Rose. "Are you planning to stay?" she asked. "As long as Gorse is safe, I will stay with you," Rose replied. Barkclaw's eyes brightened. "He will be fine, ThunderClan took me in. I'm sure Hawkstar would be willing." Hawkstar was weakly walking in. "Is that Hawkstar?" Rose asked. Barkclaw nodded. "He looks sick," Rose meowed. "He is," came the sad reply from Littlekit.

"You can stay, Rose, for as long as you want," Hawkstar rasped. "You may even join ThunderClan. Is it okay if Gorse bares a Clan name? You won't be able to come to Gatherings. You are our secret. Until I die, ThunderClan cannot have any criticism." Rose nodded.

"We will teach you our code when Gorse is stronger," Moonpaw assured. "I will be eternally grateful," Rose meowed. Just then, Dappleheart padded in with tansy. "Eat this, it will help," she mewed. "How do I know I can trust you?" Rose mewed, her tone nor face suspicious. "You will know," Dappleheart growled irritably. Rose cut the tansy in half, putting some in front of Gorse's face.

"Here, sweetheart," she meowed. "Gorse will be Gorsekit," Hawkstar mewed. Gorse meowed loudly. "I think he likes that," sighed Rose happily. Gorsekit and Littlekit were friends, but Ebonykit and Drizzlekit were still missing.

Barkclaw seemed to have remembered that, and got up. Rose took her place as she walked out. "I know my kits best out of all of you, I'll go find them," Barkclaw meowed. "Oh, and alone," she added, knowing Yew-wing and about the entire Clan would want to go too. "I wish to go," Hawkstar was trekking through the snow. "I want to make myself useful before my death,"

Barkclaw accepted, and the two trudged out of camp. Dappleheart caught up to them, making sure Hawkstar got herbs before he went out. Shiveringfeather sure did look like a shivering feather, her teeth chattering from cold. She was looking at Moonpaw, with longing in her eyes. Moonpaw didn't understand, so he walked over to her. "Cold?" he asked. Shiveringfeather simply nodded. "I am too," Moonpaw agreed. He brushed up against her, keeping her warm. Weaselpaw must've seen, because he shot Moonpaw a confused glance. 

Moonpaw felt as if this was everything he'd trained for. He closed his eyes, resting his head on Shiveringfeather's shoulder. Shiveringfeather embraced this moment. Moonpaw touched his nose to her cheek. This moment was everything.