Chapter Fifteen

The sun was setting. Snow was melting. Leaf-bare was still harsh, but it hadn't snowed in a few days. Prey had started coming out more often.  Ribs were disappearing from cats' pelts. They were getting too relaxed. Start hunting! pleaded Moonpaw. You never know when a blizzard might come through! Hawkstar was still tense too. He had seen it before. When he was young, Leaf-bare had starting thawing much too early. Only five sunrises later, a blizzard hit and wiped out half his Clan, including their leader, Featherstar. They had been unprepared.

Hedgeclaw and Ferretheart were sharing tongues. Hawkstar and Grayfoot were near each other, but Grayfoot paced outside Hawkstar's den. Hawkstar watched Grayfoot. Dappleheart finally allowed Weaselpaw out of the medicine den. Raven's attack happened a quarter of a moon ago.

Moonpaw and Weaselpaw  were sharing tongues together beside the camp entrance. Weaselpaw's chest carried a yellow slimy pulp bound by cobwebs.  Starlingfeather had caught whitecough. Ebonykit was play-fighting with Drizzlekit, while Littlekit walked side by side with Gorsekit. Rose was being trained by Ripplefawn. 

"Raven is a pine-heart," snarled Weaselpaw. "You took out his eye, nice move!" Moonpaw shivered. He hated the feeling as his claws had sunk in to his eye and felt a weird substance. It was mushy, but hard to break apart. Raven's kithood scarred his heart and made him feel bad he had to go through it. If his family had showed him a bit of respect, I wouldn't have done that.

Guilt flashed through Moonpaw whenever he thought about it. He was a mouse-brain. He hung his head. 

"Cheer up!" Weaselpaw insisted. "Yeah!" Ebonykit was squeaking. Ebonykit batted playfully at Moonpaw's hind leg. He has fur like mine. Weaselpaw's brown stripe flashed passed him. Moonpaw stumbled backward and felt a paw step on his nose. "Ow!" screeched Moonpaw as he heard a tiny crack. Pain surged through his face. "You broke my nose!" He sniffed around, relieved to smell the forest scent wreath around him.

Weaselpaw gasped. "Sorry!" Ebonykit was on his back, laughing. Moonpaw hissed. "You break your nose!" Ebonykit continued laughing. Weaselpaw swiped at Ebonykit, knocking him a fox-length to the right. "Hey!" growled Ebonykit, leaping to his paws.

Moonpaw looked around, Dappleheart was trotting toward him calmly. He realized Darkcloud and Yew-wing were no where to be found. Moonpaw picked up a faint stale trace of their scent, leading towards the camp entrance. Excitement buzzed in the smell. They must be going on a small hunting patrol, thought Moonpaw. He didn't understand the excitement.

"Moonpaw!" yowled Grayfoot. Moonpaw turned his head. Grayfoot was making his way down the boulders. Moonpaw stifled an annoyed sigh. Is he growing deaf? Dappleheart could hear me yowl from the other side of the camp! Dappleheart reached him, and set down the herbs. Moonpaw lifted his nose. Dappleheart inspected it. "Broken, not by much," she muttered. Dappleheart hooked a claw on an herb. "Comfrey, good for bones...." Her voice was light and airy. It did not sound like her. Who was her mentor? Moonpaw asked her a silent question. 

Dappleheart chewed the herbs. Grayfoot's pawsteps sounded beside them. "What's going on?" he asked as Dappleheart rubbed the pulp onto Moonpaw's nose. "Nose broken," Moonpaw groaned. Moderate pain shot through his face. He winced.

"When will he be okay?" Grayfoot demanded, his eyes glittering with fear. "Tomorrow maybe, unless infection sets in," mewed Dappleheart. Grayfoot sighed, his eyes relaxing. Dappleheart put cobwebs on to Moonpaw's nose. "Set!" Dappleheart meowed.

Weaselpaw lifted a paw and touched his nose. "Stop that!" hissed Moonpaw. Weaselpaw dropped his paw. Darkcloud suddenly burst from the bushes, her pelt ruffled along with Yew-wing. "Willowstar wishes to see Hawkstar!" Yew-wing screeched.