Chapter Twelve

It was two sunrises after the shocking death of Shiveringfeather. The sky was still gray and threatening. New thick snow blanketed the trees and ground. Prey was scarce. It was finally Leaf-bare, and a harsh one was in store.

Rose was keeping Gorsekit warm. His age had been revealed the night before. He was two moons old, soon to be three moons old at the full moon. "He's a coward," Emberkit had hissed. Gorsekit was bigger than him, and easily swiped Emberkit off his paws. "Cowardly yourself," he'd spat back. The two had gotten into a play fight, soon to be broken up by Barkclaw when the fight got bad.

Moonpaw was sitting in the apprentices' den with Weaselpaw at his side. "The last thing I did was call her weak," he hissed, his voice rimmed with regret. "You can't see the future," Moonpaw reassured him. "You wouldn't have known if she was going to die." "StarClan did!" Weaselpaw growled. His voice took a turn to self-loathing. "No need to get worked up about it," Moonpaw mewed. "I'm sure everyone here knows she wouldn't want that." Weaselpaw sighed, "I guess you're right." He got up slowly and padded out, his stride more confident.

Moonpaw turned his head away. He's just grieving, he thought sadly. He shouldn't have liked Shiveringfeather. He didn't even know her that much! He was just being a stupid apprentice. He would learn from this. Suddenly, Ferretheart walked in. "Where's Weaselpaw? He's needed for a patrol," came her terse voice. "Not sure," replied Moonpaw quietly. Ferretheart cocked her head to the side. "What's the matter?" she asked. "Is it Shiveringfeather?" Moonpaw slowly nodded. Ferretheart sighed. "She is very like-able, whether you know her or not," she meowed. "Go see the kits."

Moonpaw got up and limped out, his leg still aching. Littlekit was batting at Gorsekit's muzzle, who's tail was being pulled gently by a Drizzlekit on her hind legs. Gorsekit swung around, catching Drizzlekit off guard. She stumbled into her back. Emberkit  leaped onto Gorsekit's back, and Gorsekit crashed to the ground. Gorsekit flailed his head around. He wordlessly yowled in surprise and Littlekit crashed into his side. "You're defeated!" hissed Emberkit triumphantly. Gorsekit tried shaking him off, but was unsuccessful. Emberkit got off Gorsekit. "Ha ha!" Littlekit meowed. 

Barkclaw looked at Rose. "Gorsekit will be a great warrior," she meowed. Rose nodded. "Emberkit too." Her voice shook from cold. "I see you're not from around these parts?" Moonpaw asked, sitting down and curling his tail over his paws. "No, I was once a kittypet," Rose responded carefully. "They showered me in love and I couldn't take it anymore when they got a new pet. They named him Cocoa, and we loved each other. We had kits together, but he told me they would be taken to new homes, and we couldn't have that. Gorsekit's brother, Thrash, was taken by a fox.

"Gorsekit narrowly escaped from Cocoa's brave act," she continued solemnly, "but Cocoa died shortly after." "So you and Cocoa left because you loved your kits more?" Moonpaw asked. "That's not a kittypet act." Barkclaw shook her head. "You aren't a kittypet at heart, Rose," Barkclaw meowed. "Have you thought of training with Gorsekit when he becomes an apprentice? He will be six moons old, so he'll have a chance against a fully grown ShadowClan warrior with some training at paw." Rose's eyes became thoughtful. "Yes, I have thought about it, but I'm not sure." "Please, Rose!" begged Gorsekit.

"Yeah! Take a warrior name!" pleaded Emberkit.

"Moonpaw, you're needed for a hunting patrol," sounded Darkcloud's voice at the entrance. "Okay, bye, kits!" Moonpaw meowed. "Bye Moonpaw!" yowled all of the kits in unison. "I'll bet being a kittypet that they like you," Darkcloud mewed. "Yeah, well, they like me," Moonpaw growled. "And I'm not going to be a kittypet. Rose was a kittypet." Darkcloud expressed shock on her face. "Really? I'll bet an owl wing she wasn't," Darkcloud joked. "Well, find that owl wing because she was," Moonpaw retorted. Darkcloud nodded. "Let's go." 

Outside of the camp, Weaselpaw's eyes shone with happiness and Ripplefawn's pride. "Oh?" Moonpaw meowed. "Is this a teaching lesson with Moonpaw's family?" An old scent drifted into his mouth and he scented the air. But this time, it was fresh.