Chapter X

I know it maybe short, but as promised the next chapter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ethan and I headed outside to his Mustang for the beginning of spring break. Yesterday, Jess and the other girls took me to the mall for new bikinis, but I think I would only need the top as my tail would form. So instead they bought me a shell top at the dollar store (I know, very funny of them). On the way to my house, we spotted a cardboard box on the side of the road. Ethan pulled over to pick it up, but found something very surprising. The box was filled with six little kittens and their dead mother. Ethan wrapped the kittens in his shirt and put the box in the back with the mother still inside. I had to hold the kittens so Ethan could drive to the veterinarian. The kittens stirred in my lap and squeaked loudly. I felt my heart break as they cried.

“Ethan, how could someone do this? They’re only babies.”

“I wish I could answer that, Lily. As high as we may be, humans are not perfect.”

            I petted the kittens until we got to the veterinarian’s office. Ethan explained what had happened to the secretary and she told us to have a seat and wait. The vet came in and took the kittens and dead mother in the back. Now we just had to wait.

“Ethan?” a new voice asked.

            We both turned and found a black haired girl in nurse’s scrubs and had a clipboard in her hand.

“Adrienne?” Ethan asked, getting up from his seat.

            They hugged and he asked.

“What are you doing here?” he asked.

“I’m a volunteer. What about you?”

“Box of kittens on the side of the road. The mother’s dead and we’re now waiting on the condition of the kittens.”

“That’s awful.”

“Ethan who is this?” I asked him.

“Oh, uh…Adrienne, this is my girlfriend, Lily. Lily, this is Adrienne. I’ve known her since we were kids.”

“Wow, Ethan hold onto her. She’s beautiful.”

“I plan to.”

            The nurse who took the kittens came back and gave us the box and the mother’s remains.

“The kittens are all healthy, just make sure they have good homes. If it is not too much to ask, can you at least give the mother a proper burial?” she asked.

“That won’t be a problem.” Ethan said, taking the box. “It was nice seeing you again, Adrienne.”

“You too. Here’s my number and address if you need anything just call.”

“Will do.”

Ethan and I left the veterinarian and he headed toward my house. I was a little upset because he talked to his old friend and she gave him her number. However, she was a friend and I couldn’t be jealous of her. On the trip, Ethan asked the inevitable.

“Lily, you aren’t jealous of Adrienne, are you?”

“No, well a little. I know I should, but…”

“It’s our pull.” He finished my sentence.

“Yes.”

“Lily, Adrienne and I never happened. We were best friends in preschool and that was it.”