Chapter I

Ethan's POV

            “Oh, bite me! Don't mess with us, ya bald goat.” I said to our vice principal.

“Aren't any of you listening?!” Jack, the vice principal asked.

“Ya lost me halfway through, sir.” Eric, my wise-cracking buddy said.

“Discipline! Discipline! Discipline! Discipline! Discipline! Dismissed!” The vice principal said, giving all of us slaps to the face.

“Thank you very much, sir. Oh.” we all said.

            We walked out of the office and into the secretary’s office.

“Ya loser! You an' me are gonna go at it someday, Jack!” I called back, calling the vice principal by his first name. We all shouted back in agreement at my statement.

“We’re gonna remember this, buddy!” Ryan shouted.

“Rot in Hell!” Jake shouted back.

“Yeah, ya sick mother!” Mike shouted.

“Damn.” I said under my breath.

            It was the first day of our junior year and being sent down to the main office for nothing already went on our permanent records. Those smacks Jack gave us were for last year's antics. As we left the office, I saw a new girl in the waiting chair. I wondered what she did to get sent down here. She didn't even look bad. She had long red hair to her waist and wore a green skirt with a white tank top. Her socks were to her knees and she had black dress shoes on. She had her head hanged and held her text books to her chest waiting for her name to be called.

“Ethan,” the secretary asked me.

            I stopped dead in my tracks and asked. “Yeah?”

“Would you be so kind to show our new student around the school?”

            I was about to say no when the main principal came in. He was a lot better in attitude than Jack.

“I'd do it, Ethan.” he said. “If you do, I'll erase half of your permanent record.”

            Normally, I wouldn't do something like this, but having half of my record clean was a good deal.

“What do I have to do?” I asked.

“Just give her a tour of the building.” he said, handing me a map.

He went into his office and the secretary said “Lily, would you follow Ethan.”

            The girl got up and followed me.

“So Lily, huh?” I asked her.

“Lily Siren.” she said. Her voice was sweet and musical. I had never heard a voice so soft and lovely like that before.

“Ethan Malum.”

“Malum?” she asked. “Mal, bad in Latin.”

“Really? Huh, that must be why we're so bad.”

“First day of school hasn't begun yet and all of you got in trouble already?”

“Hey, trouble is my middle name.” I said with pride.

She shook her head and looked at her schedule. “Room S302 is the first on the list.”

“In the south tower for homeroom, huh?”

“My first class is right next door to it, too.”

“Lucky, I have to travel from the north tower to room S301 within five minutes.”