Chapter 5 Knowing the Sight

Bethany:

"Bye Claire, we'll see you in a while." I wave as she gets escorted to what they're calling a portal to the academy.

"Welcome to the Institute." Harrison says throwing open the doors of a huge catholic cathedral

Schaumburg Institute. Is written in calligraphy on a plaque by the door.

"Harry." A tall slim girl with this completely fake blonde hair embraces him tightly. Harrison gives her an awkward pat on the back in response.

"Hi..." He answers.

"You must be Bethany and James." A boy about our age greets.

"Hi." James answers, "That would be us."

"Great, so you two will be on grounds for a few years to get used to the customs." He explains. "Don't worry, so are the rest of the beginners."

"But they're probably not teenagers." James says.

"True, but they're friendly." He says.

"Would you mind introducing yourself?" I ask him.

"Woodland, Scott Woodland." He says. "Come, I'll give you the grand tour."

"Harrison-" I begin.

"Oh, Harry, I've missed you terribly." The girl continues to take Harrison's attention.

"Has got enough trouble on his plate," Scott says, "I don't think he'll mind."

"Okay..." I bite my lip wishing that Harrison would just come give us the tour.

James's takes my hand and gives it a reassuring squeeze. Scott begins walking. "This is where we train," He begins pointing out a huge open space. Columns and beams scattered about in a random pattern, climbing walls, with slits instead of things jutting out. "The weapons closet." He goes on about the study, the library, the head's office, the bed chambers, the grounds, the kitchen, dining room, music room, and other things which I tune out.

"This is your bedroom." I finally tune back in, "Do you two have any questions?"

"We're good thanks." James says. I nod in agreement.

"Okay, if you have any questions, we're all around, just ask one of us." Scott walks off and I turn to face James.

"Your room is right here. There's an en-suite, and a sitting area. If you want to use a cell phone, you'll have to go out of the institute and off the property, don't know why you'd have to when you're around your brother and myself, to contact Claire, all you have to do is fire message her, the rune to do that is in the Codex, there's a copy of that on your desk. Training begins in fifteen minutes. I'll come pick you up then."

"Thanks James." I tell him. I walk into the room he pointed out and see a sterile white room, white furnishings, white sheets, white walls, white floor rug, white doors, the floors are white tile, and the bed frame is metal. I open all the doors. A study, completely white, white shelves, white book covers. A bathroom, again completely white. even the knobs and pulls of the drawers and cabinets are chrome. The shower is white, there's no door, so it's just the walls around the shower. The whole thing is sterile.

~~

"Hey, ready to go train?"

"No, not really." I tell him.

"Let's go Bethany." Harrison says pulling me out of my room. He stands me in front of him and shows me some simple blocks.

"Harry." The girl from earlier purrs. "Help me with the defensive block." She lays herself across his arm, and I can tell he's both annoyed and enticed by it. I roll my eyes and walk away.