2

That Saturday when she found the paper

Sage was walking at a fast pace. The sun was beating down under her skin, she had been walking for an hour but she was barely noticing it.

She was at home cleaning their home when her Uncle Ben—a friend of her mother—called her saying her mother had drunkenly called him. And when he'd tried to call her back, she won't answer anymore. That made Sage go all panicked, leaving their home frantically to search for her mother.

For the nth time, she, once again clasped her phone to her ear. Sage waited for three more rings before finally hearing a beep on the other line.

"Mom, where are you?" She exclaimed completely out of breath.

"Mom! Please tell me where you are."

"Hush, baby. I'm having the time of my life." The slurring voice of her mother, Stella, sounded from the line. She was obviously drunk. As always.

Sage couldn't believe the answer of her mother. "Uncle Ben called me. Where are you?"

Her mother laughed, "Oooh, Ben! Where is he?"

Sage sighed. She had no option but to lie. "He's here. Where are you?"

"I'm in front of your Dad's office."

As soon as she heard the words she hurried her pace. She turned to the left block and took a run until she arrived at the familiar street where she had seen her mother two days ago.

Why did I made myself believe that she would not come back after last time? She asked herself in anger.

When she arrived she saw the same sight greeting her two days ago. The familiar woman, she called her mother was sprawled on the sidewalk wearing clothes not suitable for her daughter or anyone to see.

Sage immediately kneeled in front of her. "Let's go." She said grabbing her arm.

But her mother only stared back. She was a mess. Her makeup was everywhere and she was obviously crying.

"No!" Her mother replied slapping her hands away.

"Mom, he is not coming back." She said reminding not just her mother but also herself.

Her mother let out a loud sob before slumping back on the ground, her face had once again filled with wet tears.

She watched painfully as her mother cried on the sidewalk.

"Come on, let's go." Sage said, tucking her hair behind her ears. And after a little while, her Mother finally complied.

Sage was aware that people around her were looking at them but she was used to it. She was thinking way ahead when she'd hear shouts and glasses breaking inside their home two years ago.

Some of their neighbors who were once close to her parents were in their yard watching Sage and her mother as they reached their home.

Mrs. Gensberg was one. She was looking at them before scurrying her way to the women.

"Oh, my!" The lady said as she put Stella's other arm on her shoulder.

"Thank you, Mrs. Gensberg." Sage thankfully reply at the lady as she opened their front door and slid inside.

They both laid her Mother on the couch.

"Do you want something to drink?" Sage said addressing the lady who was watching her mother fall asleep.

"No, honey. Just clean Stella up." She smiled and stared at the tired teenager in front of her.

"Just call me, if you need help, okay? Don't hesitate." She added, giving Sage a hug and leaving their home.