Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Change and Anger

The next day the doctors come back in to let Tobias know that his Larynx is actually torn... they somehow overlooked it the day before. "We are terribly sorry we didn't have a complete picture of your condition yesterday. One of our nurses misplaced your CT results and we didn't find them until this morning," his doctor says as he hands over a file for him to look at.

His mother, who only just arrived moments before, reads over his shoulder. "Do your nurses make a habit of losing relevant information?" his mother asks. Her eyes cut to the doctor and Laikynn almost feels sorry for the man. That woman's glare could cut ice.

"No ma'am they don't and the nurse in question has been reprimanded I can assure you... it won't happen again," the doctor says. Laikynn watches the way his jaw clenches and she wonders why he's so angry in response to a simple question. It was a fair thing to ask after all, given the situation.

His mother hums and replies, "Make sure that it doesn't, my son's health is the most important thing in the world to me." She smiles at the doctor after all of her irritation is apparently forgotten. The doctor himself looks a bit shell shocked but he nods his head and his anger seems to disappear as well.

Laikynn rolls her eyes at the exchange. 'Adults are always so weird,' she thinks. The doctor explains what exactly they'll have to do to treat Tobias next and she pushes away her thoughts about how weird they are so she can focus on what he has to say.

"As for his treatment I have a list of things that we are going to have to do," the doctor says. "First of all, he's going to have to be on bed rest. He's going to have to keep his talking to a minimum... it's bound to be painful and can also do more harm than good at this point."

His mother nods her head, "Go on." She sits down on the edge of Tobias's bed and waits for him to continue.

"He's also going to have to be on a clear liquid diet for a bit, I'll instruct you as to how long. But for today he isn't to have anything, " he says. "I want to keep him here for a week to observe him and run a few more tests. I'm still not quite sure how that boy managed to have enough force behind him to tear his larynx. I want to make sure there aren't any other complications."

Laikynn wonders just what he means and decides to look up torn larynx online on her cell phone. What she finds, makes her wonder just how her cousin managed to hurt her friend so badly. Had he been working out suddenly? She never noticed him being particularly strong. His words were usually his weapon, not his hands.

The doctor leaves shortly after handing Tobias's mother a list of instructions and recommendations. Laikynn doesn't stay long after he leaves. She can't miss any more school or her aunt will freak out. She texted her that morning angry that she'd left and went to be with her friends in the first place.

"Tob I'm going to have to leave now if you'll be okay without me here," she says. He looks at her for a minute before he smiles and nods his head at her. "Haneul are you staying with him?" she asks.

"Yea I'm going to stay another night I already got permission. I'll keep you updated so you know if anything changes," he says. She smiles her thanks and hugs him. Then she walks over and hugs Tobias carefully. As she pulls away she presses a kiss to his forehead.

"I hope you feel better soon. I would stay but my Aunt Elsie has been freaking out on me. I'll be back soon to see you okay?" she says when she's standing upright.

"I'll be here," he laughs as he holds his arms out. Laikynn rolls her eyes at his antics and rushes forward to hug him once more. She makes sure to be gentle so she doesn't hurt him.