Ch.4

Nicole put the cut up bananas in the freezer and threw the banana peel away. She could still feel Brett's eyes on her, she was not going to start the conversation first.

"Nicole." He said getting up and going over to her.

She chose to ignore him just like he ignored her when she told him the baby news.

"Nicole, I'm sorry that I hurt you." He said pinning her in between him and the counter. "I'm still in love with you."

Nikki gave at a snort.

"Yeah, ok. You need to come up with better lines. You know how many times I've heard you say that to other girls?"

He turned her around roughly so she could face him.

"Nikki, how come you won't let me see my son?"

"I never said you couldn't. You chose not to."

"Why are you letting Max do things for our son?"

"Because he's helped out more than you have. Now if you would so kindly let me go-"

"Don't let him hold that boy again."

"Brett, you have absolutely no say in this. You weren't there through the pregnancy, he was. Now let go of me."

He didn't let her go, he just tightened his grip on her wrist. Nikki took hold of Brett's attacking arm and hit a pressure point. He let go quickly while hissing in pain.

"Bitch."

"Consider yourself warned, Brett." She said and walked out of the kitchen.

She was about to enter the living room but she stopped in her tracks.

"What about Nicole?"

"She seems like a sweet girl too. And judging by the way you've been acting around her and her boy, it seems you like her too." Nikki heard Charlie say to Max.

"I guess you could say something like that."

He likes me too?

"We've been friends for a while now. I'd do anything for her just so she could be safe and happy."

Nicole's heart felt like it stopped when those words came out of his mouth.

"You going in there Nikki?"

She jumped and came face to face with T.K.

"Don't do that!" She said before walking back into the kitchen to get the fruit then went into the living room.

Nikki sat on the couch and Max sat next to her with Tyler on his lap.

"Here ya go baby boy." She said handing Tyler a frozen banana slice.

Charlie observed the scene in front of him. The baby took the banana slice and stuck it in his mouth immediately. Max put his right arm behind Nikki on the back of the couch while his left arm held the baby securely on his lap. Charlie noticed the way Max smiled at Tyler and Nicole, it was sincere and loving. The way Max talked to Tyler, like he was his own child. There was no doubt about it Max was in love with Nicole.

Nikki jumped slightly when there was a clap of thunder then the lights went out. Tyler started whining from the loud noise. The only light source was coming from the fireplace.

"It's alright little man." Max said soothingly then cursed under his breath.

"Oh, that's spooky." Charlie muttered.

The others were chattering and coming to the living room. T.K went to Charlie while Avery and Ira stayed behind Brett, which had the gun pulled out.