Chapter 1: Trespassers

●※●

Lancer jumped from the rooftop and landed on the flat ground with a barely audible thump, his hand open on the cement. His sharp red eyes scan the desolate area lit under the full moon. The air howled but the area was tomb-like and the surrounding wings of the mansion show no indication of life, no lights or sound of residence. There was a mist, a thin veil roaming the area.

He peeled his hand of the ground and straightened himself up. The two-meter spear he placed on his shoulder before moving on to examine the place, vigilant for movements because he knew he wasn't alone. He made no sound, his steps as quiet and agile like a cat. There was another hero here hinting him of a scent without nostalgia. He senses the powers revolving here as a strong presence and a face emerged into his mind. He had a good guess who. The man who he had already fought three times, Archer.

These abandoned ruins of the Mor-axi mansion was left alone after it had been caught into a hazardous ruin but everything else that has not been incinerated or affected have remained, including the family's magical artifacts. There was benefit to that, Lancer will have more resources. It was an important mission to obtain these fine batteries of power, because to him, a pebble is better than nothing. But that was back when he was summoned as a mage.

Hard to believe it was so easy to trespass the barrier into these grounds. Most of the artifacts are sources as well, a way to refresh mana if drained.

Lancer thought that if he were a Caster now, this place would have been a huge advantage, although, he doesn't want to complain because he still prefers being a Lancer. And it's almost impossible for Casters to enter here due to a curse, meaning this place really is most advantageous for Masters. Well, that was what his master said.

A curse envelops this place, leaving it uninhabitable. His master had explained that the place strains both humans and Servants heavily. It is a tricky place similar to a labyrinth but he has yet to find out why. Lancer had been sent here to recover some of the precious artifacts kept in the inner sanctums of the house. He was also informed that Archer's servant has asked for her Servant to do the same.

When he surveyed the area again, an explosion rumbled and the area shook slightly.

"What the-?"

Above, one hundred meters from his location to the east wing, he caught sight of needle-like red falling down from the sky and strike down, causing the roof of the that part of the mansion to collapse to a series of explosions. Those red objects, he knew what they were. Archer's long-range arrows.

From the corner of his eye, he caught a flash of orange dart between the narrow space of two buildings, running away from the direction of arrows assaulting his/her back.

Archer is after someone else at the moment.

Lancer pressed himself on the wall, to avoid being caught and surprise this person whom Archer is trying to pursue. The element of surprise is such as a precious thing after all. He lifts his weapon up in a position to strike down, as hurried footsteps draw near.

The approaching footsteps are not heavy and Lancer sensed so little magics around this person. A master? The person has planned to take cover as well, only to bump into Lancer's chest and look up at red eyes staring back. Those red eyes stare back into eradicating gold.

"Hello little lady."

The girl before him was frozen in shock. Her hair as golden as her eyes cascaded down small shoulders down to her hips. Her milky skin is flushed pink at her cheeks and her lips are naturally red.

She squeaked and assumed a position vulnerable from all angles, with her hand raised. The other hand grabbed the wrist of the other as magic began to flow to her palm. Lancer wondered how long she has been under the mercy of Archer because with he poor stance and weak magic, she can't seem to survive one minute. After his close inspection, which sent shivers running in the girl's spine, Lancer has finally found familiarity in her. "Ah, you must be Rider's master."

With a shaking voice she spoke. "Well, what about it?"

He raised his hands, "Relax."

When he said the word, a rain of arrows hailed down in which his quick instincts react to, Lancer swiftly pulled the girl behind him and twists his weapon around his fingers to meet all the arrows and countering them to bounce to the ground.

"Miss, you've attracted a rather nasty guy." He said, the last flicker of arrow and spear disappearing.

When the cloud dispersed, from above at the rooftop, he was revealed. Archer stood, still staring down at them with his sharp silver eyes carrying a glint of murder. His lips flattened into a line in sync with his annoyed features.

"What do you think you're doing?" Archer asked, a sword appearing in his fingertips which he pushes against the string of his bow to turn into a long red arrow. He aims at them, the weapon straining against the string but he does not let go. "Lancer, let her go and maybe for once, we won't have to fight."

Lancer laughed. "Ha! When did such offers ever cross your mind? I didn't think bastards like you considered things like generosity."

"I'm feeling generous now," Archer said, biting on his last word. "Answer me nicely and step aside or I'll have to be hard on you."

Lancer was taken aback by the few words articulated by his mouth. I'll be hard on you.

(AUTHOR: Don't act innocent people!)

A blush flooded his cheeks but he quickly shook it away with his right mind. Maybe being alone for some time has caused his thoughts to act so misdirected.

"Archer, I would have accepted your kind offer this time..."

He haughtily twisted his weapon around until is he poised for an attack, with his foot forward and the other backward and with his hands gripping his lance tightly.

"Because I don't like seeing that ugly mug of your face every time-"

Actually, if truth was said, Archer wasn't so ugly to Lancer. He was handsome with those pale eyes and white hair slicked back. He wasn't so bad to look at in conclusion.

"-but I have a girl to protect."