Chapter 9: Familiar monster

____________
Sooooooo....If you think you recognize this 'Lancer' in this chapter, it means you're up to date with the Fate series and I'm happy you are, it means you sincerely care about the ship. :D

For those who don't know him, you'll find out in the next chapter and I am happy you're still reading up to this point because it has just began!
______

Archer watches as Lancer relaxes his hand on the wall and closes his eyes.
As he allowed Lancer do whatever it was he was doing, he discerns a cold draft and drags his eyes across a suspicious sheen gliding through the gloss of the walls. There couldn't be a draft in a place like this, unless of course...it's an anomaly.

Much to his surprise, the draft evolves into a surge of air. Over his shoulder, a surge of whistling air tugs his attention to a portal that had just opened behind him; attempting to draw him inside. Invisible hands reach out, latching into his clothes; their strength undefiable.

He surges forward in an attempt to free himself but the portal far overpowers him and before he could think it, his mind raced to one word and he shouted the name, "Lancer!"

As if a blanket of silence had draped between the two servants, Lancer doesn't react, he stands with his back on him as if he hadn't heard him. Vainly, Archer struggles and tries again but he could only vaguely hear his own words over the howling screams of the portal.

It was that dark blue of Lancer's back which he sees before his vision blurs into a closing stygian.

The last he heard a wisp of his voice and the deafening wind, before his scarlet form was weaved into the royal blue and they both blink out of existence.

*******************

Archer regains his consciousness abruptly and opens his eyes to a stone ceiling and walls of cobblestones. His mind spins, his breaths are harbored and he presses his hand to his heart to find it speeding through half the seconds. A balmy scent lingers the room, the smell somewhat soothing.

Through heavy-lidded eyes, blurry objects transition between each other, informing him of a throbbing headache in the making. His body tingles in numbness, and it's uncertain where his strength has elapsed as he pushes himself up to sit with percipient struggle. With shaking knees he topples down at the first attempt to stand up, and he couldn't muster any more energy to it again. Even with a fogged mind, he tries to assess his situation while taking slow breaths to calm his heartbeats.

He had lost a great deal of mana crossing that portal, and wasting anymore would be a disadvantage. Grunting, he pushes himself up one final time and assumes a kneel before he almost collapses again, placing his hands flat on the cold stone floor. Taking a few deep breaths, he lifts his sight up.

He narrows his eyes and it paves way to a wide rectangular object in front of him...A large canvas framed in gold with a thick layer of glass overlaying it.

The painting itself was moving, as if in active flux. It contained rough strokes of a pale figure drabbed in blue and red, but with the blue appearing to consume his entity, crawling up the painting like muddied hands eager to devour what little world the painting assumed. Archer stares intently at the painting's model, it seemed so familiar and yet so strange, as if the figure was someone twisted out of madness. A servant?

As the entire painting is consumed by the blue, it appeared to shine in that same ominous gleam, much like the swirling walls responding to the portal a while ago.

Much to his surprise, his blurry vision doesn't miss the shape of a man that steps out of it, no... more like stumbling out of it; coming out of the painting much like a gateway. A clawed hand grabbing on to the frame like a life support, the clanking of armor meeting armor and the gasps of struggling breath so deep they couldn't belong a human. As the monstrous figure enters, the scent of iron permeates and bright crimson drips to the ground...And the shiver of fear for his vulnerability and the unknown, holds Archer still.

As Archer's sight slowly recovers, he is surprised to see a monster twisted out of a man, with a violent aura rebounding around his being; much like an animal's fury trapped in a cage.

The bloody figure appears large, with a grand cloak taking up more space than necessary; the cloak decorated by a wide collar of red fur and a ring of red thorns. His dark blue clothing is tight-fitted, an armor of spikes weaving up his legs and up to his hips. His pale chest is bloodied and bared from clothing, with intricate tattoos flashing an angry red. A hood hides his face and something large moves behind him in the darkness.

His insane appearance startled Archer and he is sure now that 'it' was also a servant...and a berserker, a hellish being of madness...of delirium and trauma. But through it all, what startled him most was the face attached to the figure when the servant tosses his head back, the very movement making blood gush from his mouth to join the pools below.

The fear that dominated Archer's senses was exchanged by a foreign and all-too-sudden concern and sadness for the wounded monster...for it was Lancer...and he opened his mouth to reveal a row of sharp feral teeth. However, despite his teeth, and the unpleasant blood staining the corners of his mouth, the smile was only full of relief.

"Archer, I finally found...you..."

This Lancer wasn't the one he was so familiar with, he appeared like a version who wasn't used to the one he knew...The lancer who knew teasing, wild antics, flirting, and games...but whose haunted face glowed with happiness once his eyes rested upon Archer.

Archer does nothing but stare as 'Lancer' approaches...He did look like a monster, as expected of a member of the berserker class but despite his intimidating appearance and size, he seemed so frail.

...a monster dragging himself to his death...

He extends his hand, reaching out for the man in red. Archer didnt realize how close the man was now, and despite himself, his body backed away. But as he did, his back met a solid surface and his ears met the warm huffs of ragged breaths. He is enveloped by a warm embrace.

 He is enveloped by a warm embrace

__

The artwork is not mine in any way, I found it Pinterest and the problem with Pinterest is anyone can upload a picture, meaning I couldn't find the original creator and most Lancer and Archer wallpapers (especially the mangas) were drawn by Japanese creators. Credit to the amazing artist! (whoever they are, if anyone knows tell meh)