Chapter Five

"Crap!" Theo hissed, flapping his hand.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Bloody tray is on fire." I bit back the ounce of chuckle that was about to escape my lips. Theo is such a klutz sometimes.

"Why didn't use the oven mittens, dumbass!" 

"I still don't think this is a good idea." Theo murmured as I was taking the tray of chocolate chip cookies that we made from his arms. I smiled in delight as the aroma of our fresh baked cookies filled the atmosphere. I caught a glimpse of Nate trying to take one but I slapped his hand away before he got to do so. 

"Ow!" He winced. "Oh come on, Pie!" 

"No can do, Nathaniel. I made just enough for the Summers'. I'll make you another batch next time, okay, sweetie?" I smiled sweetly at him and he pouted. I felt my heart swell and my cheeks starting to burn at his sudden display of cuteness. I looked away almost too quickly to hide my blush before he could see it. 

"Hello? Am I the only one here?" Theo called out. I went to our cabinets to find a box where I could put the cookies in. Luckily, I found one that's just the right size. 

"You're overthinking, Theo. What's so wrong about trying to welcome the Summers' back in town? It's just simple courtesy." I stated. I tried to find a ribbon at one of our cabinets but luckily, Nate beat me to it and handed me the role of ribbon he got from one of our kitchen drawers. I muttered a thanks and started tying the box with the ribbon. 

"Well, yeah. But you've seen the guy today. He practically avoided us like we're the plague or something! Which is a huge sign that he clearly wants to be left alone." Theo argued. I finished the ribbon on the cookie box and started cleaning up the mess I made from the baking with Nate helping me out. 

"Cole was our best friend, Theo. I don't know about you but for me, I can't stand the idea of turning my back on a friend. Even if that friend went MIA for 4 long years." I replied, sure of my plans tonight. Theo sighed in defeat, "Didn't he just snap at you a few hours ago when you started prying on his business? I'm telling you this is a bad idea. Dude, will you talk her out of it?" He turned to Nate who just shrugged at him. I smirked, Nate knew that there was no way to talk me out of something I already set my mind to. 

"Theo, I understand why you don't want to do this. I know you think that Cole leaving 4 years ago without any explanation is a load of bull but you and I both know that maybe he had his reasons. I know you got hurt, we all did. And it wasn't easy for us, especially for you when you were the closest to Cole."And it was true. Among us, Theo was the closest to Cole. Despite Theo and Nate being twins, they were complete opposites. Theo and Cole had so much in common that we decided they were the ones that were twins and not Nate despite having completely identical faces. Cole leaving left a hole in our little group. Theo took it the hardest, though. He couldn't believe that Cole would do something like that. He used to say that they had lots of plans together for us, places we would go to, people we'd make fun of, pranks they'd cast on us. And all of a sudden he left without a trace. Who does that? Well, Cole. 

"Theo, look at me." I took a step towards him and lifted his chin so that he was looking at me. 

"Just chill, okay? Everything's gonna be fine. We never know, he might just tell us the truth while we're at it." I gave him a small smile. He let out a huff and started helping out in cleaning. As soon as we finished, I took the box of cookies and headed for the front door with Nate and Theo tailing behind me. We crossed the street until we ended up in Cole's front porch. I motioned for Theo to ring the doorbell.

"What? Why me?" He whispered. 

"Because you're the nearest?" I stated in a hushed tone. 

"There's no way I'm ringing that doorbell."