Shattered- Chapter three

12 weeks later

"Come over to my house and we'll bake the berry cake you wanted to try."

"Okay bye."

For three weeks now, Andrew has been following me around and I've been giving him lifts from home to school and back.

He's honestly helped me break out of my shell and I now I actually talk. It was hard at first, really. I'd utter one word then I'd say a sentence then eventually I was finally having conversations.

My mom had cried tears of joy when I came home, telling her I loved her.

Andrew's actually really sweet. And yes he still sleeps around but it's not like I'll fall for him anyways...right? After about what felt like forever someone finally knocked the door.

"Coming!"

I opened the door and he hugged me and kissed my cheek leaving me baffled. Why'd he kiss me?

"I brought berries. I have strawberries, blueberry, cranberries, raspberries...that's about it."

"Why'd you do that?"

"Bring berries? Because it's a berry cake and I thought we'd need the berries. Duh."

"No you kissed me. Why'd you kiss me?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"By...the door...kiss...you kissed me."

I stumbled on my words and he laughed.

He patted my head like if I was a dog and I scrunched up my face.

"You wish I'd kiss you...now let's get baking."

"Yeah just let me-"

I was interrupted by my phone which was ringing.

I watched the number and smiled.

"Hey you."

"Hey Zack. What's up?"

When I said his name Andrew looked like a deer caught in heaslights. I put out my hand telling him I'll be back. I went up to my room and sat on the bed.

"I thought you might want to come over or go out or something."

When did this happen? Two weeks ago, Zack had asked me to go on a date with him and obviously I said yes. I hesitated at first because my best friend had had a crush on him once upon a time. After that we kind of just hit it off.

"I'm sorry I can't. I was about to bake the cake with Andrew."

"Oh. Well its okay. How about tomorrow? We can go to the beach."

"I'd like that. Bye."

"Bye, babe."

Every time he calls me that I blush. I'll never get used to it. I started hanging out with him and his friends, including Andrew, and I met these girls who are my friends now, hopefully we become close.

I went downstairs and saw him waiting at the counter top, tapping away on his phone, thinking he was texting. I walked up to him and smiled when I saw him playing piano tiles two.

"I'm back!" I did jazz hands and had a grin on my face.

"Took you long enough," he said, not looking up from the phone. He must've lost because he groaned and pushed his phone ink his pocket. "You're with Zack?"

I hoisted myself into the counter, next to him. "Not officially, no."

"That's why you hang out with us because of him? When did this happen?"

"About a week ago...I don't know. Let's just bake."

"Yeah because I'm awsome, I know."

I laughed and looked at him, "Don't you ever get tired of having yourself around?"

He laughed shaking his head. He got the eggs from the fridge and I got the flour, mixing bowls, utensils and all the other ingredients.

When I turned around he had already poured milk into the bowl and threw in the butter and berries and eggs and so many other things.

"What are you doing?"

"It's called baking. Watch and learn."

"I didn't say to start yet."

"I don't need your permission."

"My house, my rules."

"But we're supposed to work together."

"Do you want me to kick you were the good Lord split you?"

He Put his hands over his jeans, "Don't...do you know why I've hated you all your life?"

"Is it because I almost broke your nose when you were nine?"

He chuckled, "Yeah kind of. But also because I hated that you never let anything bring you down or you never let anything bring you down."

"Thanks?"

"I mean, you were so tough and shit I was just jealous."

I smiled and pinched his cheeks, "Who wasn't?"

He hit my hand away and I laughed. He stirred the mixture and poured it into the baking pan. He put it in the oven and we cleaned up our mess...well, I was cleaning.

After the silence, he threw flour in my face to break the ice. Because the tension was so strong anyone who stepped into the room could feel it.

He laughed but when he saw my expression he stopped.

"I'm gonna kill you!"

He threw an egg at me and I landed in my hair, dripping down my face. Disgusting.

While he was rolling in the floor in laughter I pinned him to the ground.

"Are you trying to make me into into a cake?"

He was still laughing I leaned down and our noses touched.

"Do I have your attention now?"

He nodded. He leaned up a little in order to connect our lips but I rolled off off him leaving him stomped.

My laughter filled the room. "You like me. You wanna kiss me," I said in a sing song voice, dancing like a crazy lady.

"Shut up."

My mother walked into the house moments later.

"What were you guys doing?"

"Just baking. Why?"

She hummed in response, pulling put her phone. "I need a picture of this."

"No-"

Andrew threw his arm around my shoulder and she snapped the photo. I knew I was smiling, but I couldn't stop no matter how grumpy I felt.

We looked at each other and laughed.

"Let's watch a movie."

"If you haven't noticed I'm a human cake," I used my hands to gesture towards myself. "Just let me wash off first."

"Wait!"

"Yeah?"

As soon as I turned around he snapped picture.

"Screensaver."

"What no! Delete that."

"Weren't you gonna do something?"

"I hate you."

"I love me too."