Shattered- Chapter twenty five

What did he mean by that? So I was right. She does have dirt on him, but what?

My thoughts are interrupted when I feel his warm, lips on mine.

His hands fall to my waist while I press my hands against his chest. He pulls away too soon and my lips suddenly feel cold and lonely as it misses the contact it once had.

"You shouldn't have done that. You have a girlfriend."

I walk to my car and he stops me. "Jessie I want you, I really do but I can't. Trust me if I could I would have a long time ago."

"Well if you wanted to, you would have tried. Can't you tell me? I need to know."

"No Jessie like I said, you want to know."

I continue walking and he grabs my elbow. "I'll tell you...but not now. Sometime, I just don't know when."

"Are you happy with her?"

"What? Of course not."

"Then why won't you tell me?"

He groans and tugs at his own hair. "You ask so many damn questions. You're so persistent. You know how to drive me up a pole. You take away all my energy. But that's all part of the love."

"I want to tell you but I'm afraid she'll find out that I did."

"I'll wouldn't tell her, obviously."

"I know but...I'm afraid that you'll see me differently."

"It can't be that bad."

"But it is. You have to promise that you'll still see me as the Andrew you know. The playful, funny and sometimes dumb Andrew."

"I promise...but it depends."

He sighs, "I...Hailey...well you know we were together. Before you and I started talking I well, I never really slept around as much or ever actually. And don't be surprised but I was a virgin when Hailey and I were together. One day I was sure I loved her, well I thought I did."

He took a deep breath before continuing, "We confessed our love for each other and that same night we...yeah. After that one time it just became something we did in our relationship. One night we were both drunk."

He looked away from me and focused on the grass, "Two weeks after we did it while we were drunk, she told me she had missed her period and that she kept vomiting."

I shook my head but he still wasn't brave enough to look me in the eye.

"I told her to take a test and it came out positive. I told her to take a next one and that was positive. I made her take more over and over and they were all positive. I wasn't ready to be a father. I made her abort the baby."

He looked at me briefly, getting a glimpse of my glossy eyes and he looked back down. "That was when I started drinking. I couldn't believe that I made her kill a living creature. A baby. They were supposed to grow up and live their life...but I made her kill it. The look on her face still haunted me for a while when I told her she had to abort the baby. She wanted to keep the baby. She wanted to have a family. But I wasn't ready for that. I was only sixteen. But I changed...after you."

"Jessie..." He takes a step towards me but I step away. I shook my head letting tears fall down my face. I was crying for Hailey.

Realization suddenly hit me. "She's not a bitch. She's just hopelessly in love. She just wanted to be able to build a family and have a life with you. She knew she wasn't ready but she was willing to make it work...because she loved you."

"Jessie, you promised."

"Is said it depends. You're terrible. How could you do that?"

"My parents would have hated me Jessie. You wouldn't understand."

"You're right, I wouldn't understand because I don't go around having sex with every living thing! You are beyond selfish! You could have let her make the child and give it up to a family that wanted a child but couldn't make one."

"I wasn't being selfish! If her parents saw that belly, they would have disowned her!"

"You don't know that!"

"Yes Jessie. I did. I've met her parents. They believe in sex after marriage. They always told her if she got pregnant they'd disown her. They were strict with those things."

"But yet you disregarded her parents wishes and you slept with her."

I slap him and walked to my car ignoring his calls behind me.

"It wasn't my fault! I was drunk!"

I stop in my tracks, "Yeah Andrew. That makes it much better."