Chapter 8

One month passed by since the terrible storm and the painful loss of Chase.

Chase was found on shore unconscious. A young man took him to a vet to make sure he was okay. After finding out, he took the pup with him and brought him to Pennsylvania.

Chase woke up with an irritating headache. As he looked around, everything seemed blurry, and he thought was blind for a minute. Finally, his vision was clear, and he could see a man with brown greasy hair looking down at him with a smile.

"Ryder..?" Chase started rubbing his eyes, thinking he was just seeing things.

"Oh, you talk?" asked the man.

"You're not Ryder... are you?"

"Ryder? No. Who's Ryder?"

"He's my owner.. I'm supposed to be home." he explained in his weak voice.

"Well, I don't know where your owner is, but I got your bag. If it's yours, anyways." the man reached for the blue bag that was in the back seat.

"It is mine. Thanks." Chase smiled weakly. "Where am I?"

"In my mini van."

"Well, I know that. Am I still in Adventure Bay?"

"Adventure Bay? Uh, no. You're in Pennsylvania."

"Pennsylvania?!"

"Shh! Don't hurt your throat."

"B-But I thought I was home.. with all my friends." tears were forming in his eyes.

"Don't cry. Everything will be just fine." the man started rubbing the pup's belly.

"Why did you bring me all the way out here?"

"I found you on shore. I took you to a vet, and you were just fine. So, I decided to take you out here with me."

"Didn't you see my collar?"

"Why yes I did. And I know exactly who you are."

"Then... why didn't you bring me back home?"

There was a short pause in their conversation.

"Because I can't afford to bring you back." the man finally answered.

"Oh.." Chase dropped his head.

"I'm very sorry." the man tried to think fast, before the pup could start crying. "I know someone who can take good care of you."