An (un)usual day on the Station DS9

Mister Garak woke up that day expecting it to be a normal day on the space station Deep Space Nine. Oh how foolish was his assumption...

Mister Garak got up in the morning, washed and clothed himself, then proceeded to the promenade. He was to meet doctor Bashir at one the restaurants, they would have breakfast together, as usual.

Garak arrived to find that he was the first, doctor Bashir had not yet arrived. He sat himself at the table and waited, he took out a pad out of his pocket and started reading a cardassian novel, to make the waiting a bit more interesting.

Julian Bashir arrived 10 minutes later, he was a bit out of breath which suggested he had been under some kind of time pressure.

"You are late doctor," Garak pointed out, "I had to restrain myself to resist the temptation of ordering something without you."

"I'm sorry Garak, I came as fast as I could." Bashir said apologetically.

"You seem a bit out of breath doctor, have you been running? Have you started practicing some new sport or couldn't you just find your uniform?"

"Not my uniform, my hairbrush." Bashir said emphasizing the last word.

"Your hairbrush?" Garak said, surprise evident in his voice.

"Yes my hairbrush," Bashir repeated. "I couldn't find it."

"You brush your hair doctor? I didn't know that, you are full of surprises." said Garak with amusement in his voice.

"Of course I brush my hair." said Bashir sounding offended. "As a Starfleet officer one must look presentable. I'd think you'd understand that, being such a man of elegance and manners yourself with such a passion for fashion."

"I understand." Garak assured him. "Are you aware that you can always replicate another hairbrush?"

"That's what I did after searching every corner of my quarters." Bashir said with an exasperated voice.

"Not that I wouldn't find this conversation most intriguing, but would you mind postponing it for a later time and ordering some food? I am quite hungry."

"Of course."

-----------------

The two friends almost finished their meals when Bashir delivered some bad news. "Garak, I'm afraid I can't have lunch with you today. There's an important Starfleet meeting at 12:00 hours."

"Ah..." Garak said.

"If you want we can have lunch afterwards but I would hate to make you wait." Bashir said with a tone that suggested how sorry he was.

"I see." Garak replied. "Well it's alright doctor, no need to apologize. I'll just...find someone else to...have lunch with." he said while thinking about this piece of information.

"Oh I'm sure you'll find someone. How about .... Ziyal?" Bashir suggested surprisingly quickly. "You two would surely appreciate some time for talking. By the way how was your date last night?"

"Ah, you know...about that?" Garak said slightly surprised and unsure.

"Oh yes," Bashir said pleased about where the conversation was going. " I was at Quark's yesterday, playing darts with Miles and Quark just couldn't miss the opportunity to tell us about it."

"Ah, of course he couldn't." Garak said, thoughts swirling in his mind. " You can always trust Mister Quark to keep your secrets."

"So, how was it? Cardassian Sauna..." Bashir asked, grinning.

"Quite...pleasant, thank you for asking." Garak replied and than quickly added: " And by the way it was no date! It was merely..."

"Merely a courtesy meeting with the daughter of Gul Dukat." Bashir said ending his sentence for him. "I understand."

Garak stared at him for a moment before saying:  "Yes, exactly."

Bashir smiled brightly at him.

"Well doctor, if you'll excuse me." said Garak standing up, "I really should be going, I have a lot of work. Dresses to make-"

"...trousers to mend. Of course I do not wish to rob you of your time. Have a nice day Garak." Bashir said,  grinning brightly.

"You too, doctor." replied Garak politely and left the table.

Bashir kept smiling as he watched him leave.