Choosing a lunch partner

Garak opened his shop and sat down to adjust some dresses, but throughout the morning he found himself, for some reason, distracted by his conversation with doctor Bashir

Garak opened his shop and sat down to adjust some dresses, but throughout the morning he found himself, for some reason, distracted by his conversation with doctor Bashir. When he thought about whom he could invite for lunch, Ziyal did cross his mind.  Actually she was one of the first to cross his mind. He had also considered Morn,  but he talked too much. He talked long without pausing so Garak had no opportunity to share any of his wisdoms with him.

Thus he had so far deemed Ziyal to be the best candidate. But the conversation with Bashir made him rethink. Could it be that some people would mistake his relationship with Ziyal for a romantic one?

Garak himself had no such intentions, he was merely being friendly. After all it had been Ziyal who invited him to that rocky, steaming sauna. But she only did so, because he was the only other cardassian onboard, the temperature was too hot for other species. And it was understandable that she wished for some companionship. She was a lovely, lonely, young woman far from home. He knew what it was like to feel lonely and far from home...

She was half cardassian and half bajoran, so neither of her people really accepted her and Gul Dukat being her father made that no easier. And as he learned yesterday, she had spent a large portion of her life in a prison camp, what a harsh fate. Yes, her intentions were absolutely harmless and understandable.

But what about him? What were his intentions? As he said before he had no romantic intensions or desires.  At first he had even considered not meeting her at all, as he had concerns that she might try to kill him. After all he had her grandfather tortured and killed, her wanting to kill him would be perfectly understandable. Ziyal even admitted that she thought about it. She said both Kira and Dukat warned her about him. But still she did not kill him, she said she didn't care about what he had done, she merely wished to have some nice company and it was up to him if he wanted to have some companionship and friendly talk too or not. She was capable of being alone 'I spent five years in a prison camp, alone. I don't need you.' she had said to him.

Garak spent the whole morning thinking and after a few hours he reached a decision.