Yet Another Tomb Desecrated

1933

"While your aunt goes and desecrates another tomb." I caught the end of Ricks conversation with Alex. I smiled slyly to myself as I dusted off a little more of the wall reading the beautiful adorned hieroglyphics. Damn was it good to be back. I turned around to find a snake slithered up next to me. I put my foot underneath it and kicked it away from me.

"Go away." I said to it as if it could understand me. Rick just happened to be walking right where I ended up kicking it. He made a struggled scream. Oops, I laughed internally.

"Those are poisonous, you know." He said to me. He glared at me as he walked over to pick up our tools.

"Only if they bite you. What was all that about?" I asked him curious what Alex had to say. Evy wanted us to watch him for a bit while she ran some errands, so we decided to take him on an adventure because what 9 year old can say they've been to an old Egyptian temple.

"Nothing. Alex wanted to show me something. I swear... The kid gets more and more like Evy every day." Rick complained.

"Wish we had one of our own??" I questioned him raising my eyebrows.

"No, he's driving me crazy." Rick said smiling and leaning in to kiss me.

"Now, where were we?" Rick brushed off the question. We had decided early on, it might be better to not have kids, just because of our jobs getting more and more publicized. I knew it wouldn't be fair to put a child in that position.

"Hammer and chisel..." I said holding up the tiny devices, he gave me a look like really Joe?? I laughed. "Just kidding love." I smiled at him and handed him a crow bar to take down the door.

"Thank you." He said smiling as he knocked down the beautiful historic door I had been reading. We walked into the tomb stepping over scorpions and spiders that were everywhere. Immediately I noticed the sleeping quarters and corpses in the wall and bones on the ground.

"Ever since I had that dream... This place is all I can think about." I started a new conversation looking at where I was stepping careful to avoid stepping on anything that could harm me.

"Ever since you had that dream, I haven't had a decent night of sleep." Rick said sounding annoyed, I rolled my eyes, that's so Rick, exaggerating. He ungracefully stepped on all the critters surrounding us not caring about what could bite or sting him.

"I feel like I've been here before. I know I've been here before." I couldn't shake the feeling of déjà vu.

"Joe, nobodies been here before, not in at least 3,000 years. Except for these guys." Rick said making his point by motioning towards some corpses. Not amused I walked over to the wall where a lever was sticking out. I knew this was the way we were supposed to go. Here we go, I pulled the lever and the door opened eerily.

"Then how do I seem to know exactly where I'm going?" I asked Rick a little snobbishly but also a tad scared. Rick got in front of me and led us down this passageway. I was so intrigued by the beautiful writings on the wall that I fell far behind him. I caught up to him where there was this entryway into a new area of the temple. I had this sense of familiarity wash over me completely, suddenly the walls were adorned in gold and some Egyptian woman was opening the door in front of me. I got a glimpse inside with two guards surrounding a box before she closed the door. The woman put a combination into the lock and pushed the door closed fully locking the guards in the room and walked towards me. She looked like Evy could've been her twin. Everything faded back to the original colorless temple when my dense husband walked through Evelyns twin. I looked around even more confused than when I first got here. This felt different, not unlike what I felt at Hamunaptra, but similar. Rick stopped to turn and look at me staring at the walls.

"You okay babe?" He asked me, a little concern slipping into his tone, as he softened up on using the crow bar to try to pry open the door the woman had walked through.

"I just had a vision. It was like my dream, but it was real. It was like I was actually here in ancient times." I told him a little scared.

"Well, if you actually were here... Could you show me how to open this thing?" I walked over to him.

"Hold this." I said handing him my torch. I put in the combo that I saw the woman enter in my vision. The door creaked open.

"Now you're starting to scare me." Rick said full on tremble in his voice.

"I'm starting to scare myself." I replied voice steady. Rick walked through the door, I followed closely behind. I went to the box immediately and saw the almost gong like emblem and started brushing the cobwebs off it.

"That's the emblem of the Scorpion King. He's supposed to be pure myth. No trace of him has ever been found before. No artifacts. No archival evidence... Let's open this." I said looking at the chest.

"Joe, I don't know. I don't have a good feeling about this." Rick voiced his concerns. I knew he was worried about what could happen, just like last time Imhotep rose from the dead.

"Its only a chest. No harm ever came from opening a chest." I countered, I was starting to sound more and more like my sister, god what was happening to me?

"Right, and no harm ever came from reading a book. Remember how that one went with your sister?" Rick said back to me. I nodded my head, he had a point. I spun around putting my hands on Ricks chest trying to convince him with my eyes to let me do this, I had to know what was in it.

"Come on. We can't stop now." I said looking at him. He looked at me, giving into my gaze.

"Okay, okay... Just remember, I was the voice of reason here." He said. I smiled and spun back around to the chest, taking the knife I had on me and trying to pry open the lid. As I was getting no where with the knife Rick came up with his own idea.

"Hon? Let's do it Evy's way." He said handing me the key to the chest. I smiled at him, spinning the key in the dial. It clicked open. 

"The bracelet of Anubis." I whispered taking it out of the chest and holding it, admiring the detail. As soon as I removed it sand started falling from the ceiling.

"Shit!!" I exclaimed throwing the bracelet back into the chest and closing the case back up.

"It's a bit late for that!" Rick yelled at me.

"Put it in your rucksack." I tried reasoning with him.

"What?? I got a better idea, lets leave it here." Rick countered.

"Its a bit late for that!" I yelled back at him.

"What's it say?" Rick asked. Stupid time to be asking that now Rick!

"He who disturbs this bracelet... shall drink from the Nile... Well, that doesn't sound too bad." I said but still sounded unsure. Rick threw the chest into his bag and we ran out of the room him dragging me by my arm like I was going to be left behind or something. Suddenly water came barreling at us. FUCK! This is what it was talking about. Rick pulled me around the tomb running from the water as best we could, though we knew there was no way to get away from it. Rick finally gave in and realized we were trapped. He quickly hugged me and the water hit us. Suddenly I couldn't breathe again. A very familiar situation from when I first reconnected with Rick. It started getting harder to tread the water and I went under. Shit. Suddenly, I felt Ricks arms around me again holding me up and swam us over to a grate where we held onto the bars to keep our heads above the water.

"This is bad, Joe..." I nodded gasping for air, fair point. I'd almost died last time something of this sort happened. Rick never asked me if I could swim on the barge, well little did he know, I could but I wasn't very good at it. I had been taking lessons secretly over the summer when we got married. All of a sudden both of us were underwater gasping for air. My life wasn't flashing before my eyes yet though. The current changed altogether and we were swifted away towards the left. What the hell?? How'd that happen? Suddenly I was coughing up water and looking into the worried eyes of my nephew.

"I can explain everything." Alex said thinking everything was his fault, poor kid had no idea was his aunt and uncle had just gotten into.