For You

Dawn was equally disappointed that Richard didn't show. She knew Ava all too well, that Ava was hurt so bad.

After the party, and she tucked the kids to sleep, she asked Anton to drive her to take a trip they'd never imagine making.

A trip to Richard's house. A trip that didn't include Ava.

Sure, they remained amicable and friendly throughout the years. But as respect to their respective spouses, they'd never do things alone together, unless Ava was there.

When they got there, Dawn called Richard. "Goms, baba Ka. Andito ako sa labas."

He and Lucy went down and greeted their guests at the door. "Can we talk goms, you know what this is about."
Lucy nodded in understanding and said "I'll get us all something to drink."
"Sige, I'll join you" Anton added.

"Alam ko." Richard started then Dawn cut him off, "Hindi, Hindi mo naiintindihan." Dawn's voice started to crack. She handed him a piece of paper.

It was a speech, the valedictory speech, that Ava practiced in secret for weeks, that she finally got to hear earlier today. And she would tell with her daughter, "Sobra naman ata yang practice mo Ate, speak from the heart."

Distinguished guests, faculty members, fellow students, family and friends, welcome.

When I moved to this school, it scared me so much, that I cried coming home the first day. Yes, I never thought that this day would unfold like this, me standing in this podium, making this speech. And there's a part of me that hopes this day wouldn't end. Because it means that at the end of this day, we leave the comforts of our second home. The home that  from day 2, I started to love, because of the friends I made, the teachers who molded and supported all of us. So many people I've met moving here, that changed my and my fellow students' lives.

But of course, this day will end once the clock strikes twelve. By then, we'll leap. We'll leap into the world of the unknown. It's scary and daunting, I know. But learning from my own experiences, it's a leap that is scary to make at first, but completely rewarding after. Because it's a leap that means we have new friends to make, new teachers to learn from and more people who we'll meet along this path that will mold our lives.

But if basing it again on experience, you will be comforted by the fact that, at the end of each day, our family and friends will be there, supporting us, and guiding us, until we're the people we're meant to be. The best versions of ourselves.

Today, I'm living the dream. The dream I never imagined I'd have. But a dream all together made possible by my family. If anything I've learned from the many ups and downs of my younger years, I am extremely lucky to have a big family, yes, it's not ideal, but it's what I am lucky to call mine.

To my yaya and manong Jun, you both are like family to me. Ya, thank you for the grilled cheese every after school, for the orange juice for when I study and for waking me up, mid-studying. Mang Jun, thank you for the stories that distract me when I feel anxious, for driving me to practices, sleepovers etc and for the jokes you make when I'm sad. I don't know if I'd be here if you both weren't part of my life.

To my siblings, thank you for the inspiration you give me, to do better, to be better. So that you'll have an ate you'd be proud to call yours. For the kisses you give me when I get home from school, for the hand made cards I'd receive telling me how much you love your ate.

To mommy Lucy and daddy Anton, thank you for tutoring me, even in the wee hours, just until I got it right. For the effort you make coming to every competition, family day and recital. For loving me despite circumstances.This would never ever have been possible, if it wasn't for the push, guidance and love you give me everyday. I love you more than you both would ever imagine. I possibly wouldn't even be making this speech if it weren't for you.

To my mama, thank you for being you. For being the ever supportive best friend I have. Ma, you and I, we've been together since day one. You were my first teacher. You gave me so much more than I'll ever need. I love you so much. You are my pillar, my strength.

And finally to my papa, never in my wildest dreams would I thought that I would get here. And you stood there when I told you the news, you didn't even look surprised, instead you told me that you never doubted that I could do it. Thank you papa for dreaming bigger for me, for believing more in me than I do myself. This is for you papa. I love you so much.

"Richard, she was nervous about that speech, that's why miss perfect work ethic, practiced that speech so hard. She did it for you, so she wouldn't cry that day, so she could finish her speech she dedicated to you. You are the reason she's there Richard, despite you being apart. She pushed herself to be the best, because you instilled in her, that she was more capable than she thinks. Kaya imagine her disappointment, when you weren't there. Because all of it was for you."