Chapter 27 | Always There For You

ALWAYS THERE FOR YOU

The last time I had confessed feelings for someone else was for a boy called Cameron Phillips. 

I met Cameron in the fall of last year at a party. I'd been there drinking and he'd been there with his mate Ryden Mitchells. I don't how I was invited to the party; perhaps Melanie had gotten us invitations through Facebook. 

I was sitting on a couch by myself, when Cameron came over and sat beside me. I looked to him in my drowsy state as he let out an exasperated sigh. His brown hair had been longer then, covering his ears in waves, and he held a stubby in his hand. 

He noticed me staring and turned to me, smirking. 

"The young lady likes what she sees?" he asked, and I gave a snort. 

"You wish."

"Well, my friend should be done in the spare bedroom soon enough, and I'm known for taking the innocence from young ladies like yourself," he'd started, then leaning towards me, "I'll take you to the dark side."

I raised an eyebrow. 

"And what makes you think that I'm innocent?" I asked him. He instantly sat back from me, eyes widened and an eyebrow raised in question. 

"How old are you?" he had asked. 

"Fifteen."

"When did you... you know... lose it?" 

"Fourteen. Is there a problem with that?" I asked.

He thought for a second and was about to reply when another boy, who appeared to be his age, walked up to us, zipping up the fly of his skinny jeans. He glanced at me before looking back to the boy next to me. 

"Hey I'm thinking of going home. You need a ride Cam?" he asked. 

The guy next to me shook his head. 

"Nah, I'm good Ry. Cya Mondy," he'd replied. 'Ry' left us and disappeared into the crowd and the music. 

Later on that night, the alcohol had gotten to me and I found myself out in front of the house, sitting on curb, tears streaming down my cheeks. Perhaps I was crying because I felt neglected and unloved by my mother, or maybe it was just my time of the month, but for whatever reason, my tears caught the attention of the boy from the couch, who had basically asked me if I wanted to have sex with him. 

He sat down next to me and put an arm around me. He was kind of creepy, but somehow I thought that he actually cared about my problems so that was all I needed at that time. 

"What are you doing? Trying to get in my pants again?" I had asked him between sobs. He laughed. 

"Nah. I don't sleep with insane people who illegally have sex," he joked. I laughed a little and looked to him and raised an eyebrow. He hadn't really answered my question.

"Fine, you got me. I like helping people, it's a guilty pleasure," he replied. I frowned. 

"So you like listening to other's peoples' shitty lives?" I asked and he laughed again. I liked his laugh. It was reassuring. 

"Yeah. I guess you could say that. I'm like a free psychologist. You got problems? I got the answers," he'd replied. I smiled. 

"Well I have plenty of problems," I'd told him. 

"Then we should meet up some time. I'd love to hear them," he'd said. I laughed. 

"Why?"

"There's something I see in your eyes. You need me." he replied.

"I don't even know you." 'Cam' stood up and held out a hand. I took his hand and he pulled me to my feet. Standing in front of me, he held out his hand. 

"My name's Cameron Phillips. Look, you're halfway there to knowing me," he'd said with a smile. I took his hand.