Chapter 5- Hospital Room

The pain and exhaustion was starting to take its toll on me. I needed a rest. Just one moment. Let me just rest for one moment... Sadly, that was not to happen. The knife James was holding was nearing my legs. My heart pounded so hard against my chest.

I started hyperventilating when that knife had met its target as he touched it barely on my leg. "Now, where should I start... Up here?" He touched the tip onto my lower knee. "Or here?" He moved it lower nearing my foot.

"James... Please. Please don't do this. I'm scared," I said, tired of trying to get around him. If I couldn't get around him, I would go over him by telling the truth.

His twisted smile faltered for a second, realizing for the first time that he was causing me such immense fear and pain. But as usual, he never let his guard down for long. The twisted mask of anger covered his face again. "LIKE I CARE," He growled at me and finally rested the knife on my the lower part of my leg.

Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a dark shadow standing at the opening of the alleyway. James seemed to realize it too but chose to ignore it. Instead, he asked his goons to handle it while he tried to inflict more pain upon me with that knife of his.

Screams and shouts were heard as quick as lightning and James roared in anger. "WHY CAN'T YOU DEAL WITH THINGS MORE SMOOTHLY??? YOU IDIOTS!" James stood up and whirled his body against the new attacker.

I sighed in relief but as soon as that sigh escaped my mouth, the exhaustion threatened to take me away to Dream Land yet again. I leaned my back against the edge of the dirty dumpster, not caring whether it was dirty or not. 'My shirt's already caked with blood anyway,' I thought to myself while watching the attacker and James fight,

James fought with the knife while the attacker just defended himself with his bare fists. James thrust the knife towards the attacker's abdomen but he dodged to the left and kicked James' left rib cage. I heard a sickening crack as James fought with the pain and decided to continue fighting instead of giving up. 

James' next offense was to slash the attacker's neck and he would've succeeded too until he slipped on a puddle of grease and oil on the ground and slipped. The attacker took this as an opportunity to punch his jaw and James fell onto a pile of rubbish, unconscious.

That was when I also fainted and the last of my energy was drained as I fell into a deep sleep while trying to endure the pain.

.........

"ALEXA! ALEXA ARE YOU ALRIGHT??? I should've never left you alone outside that shop. This is all my fault. I AM SO SORRY," A voice was heard.

"What is wrong with you??? Who are you and how did you get in here? We're still not done treating her yet. I am calling security of you don't get out, I'm warning you," Another voice said.

"Liam, is she fine???" A third voice barges noisily into the area.

"WHO THE HECK ARE YOU?!" Both the first and second voice said simultaneously.

"Can you guys please shut up, I am trying to sleep here," I murmured as loud as I could. I could barely make all of the voices out. My mind was still so fuzzy and I was just very sleepy. "ALEXA? You're fine!!!" The third voice shrieked.

"Five more minutes, mom. I'll be out in five," I said and turned my body only to feel wires and tubes and metal railings. 'What's this? My bed doesn't have this,' I thought to myself.

My eyelids fluttered open very slowly, shocked to see the bright light that is streaming in from the window nearby. I used my hand to cover the light while I properly opened my eyes while taking in everything that I was seeing.