«Chapter One»

-Luke-
I frowned the moment I saw him.

I didn't know who he was, but he looked so sad.

He sat at the table alone, just pushing his food around on his plate. I wanted to make him happy, because no one deserves to be sad.

Calum caught me staring and hit my arm to get my attention. "Don't stare, it's rude." He muttered and I nodded.

"But look at him, he looks so..."

"Hot? I know. But don't bother, he thinks he's all high and mighty. No one here deserves to be with him apparently." I could hear the bitterness in his voice and scrunched my eyebrows up in confusion.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask and he shrugs.

"Just that he ignores everyone here like he's better then them. Trust me bro, it's not worth it." I sighed and shook my head.

He didn't look like a conceited jerk, he looked...sad. He looked lonely.

I got up, ignoring Calum's complaints and walked towards the boy. I sat down at his table, right across from him.

He only looked up briefly before quickly putting his head down.

"Hi." I said softly.

No response.

"My names Luke, what's yours?" I tried again. Still, no response.

I bit my lip and looked down at the table. I couldn't help but notice his nails, they were painted a dark black and I took the chance for a conversation starter.

"Uh, I like your nail polish. It's really neat, I could probably never do that. It looks good though." He only looked up at me silently and I was taken aback by how sad his eyes were.

I never understood when people said someone could have old soul eyes or sad eyes, stuff like that. But I did now.

His eyes weren't blue but they might as well have been. It was like he had oceans upon oceans of pain he was carrying.

"A-are you okay?" I asked and he seemed taken aback by my question, like no one had ever asked him that before. But then his eyes seemed to dim in color, if that was even possible. He looked offended and I realized he could've taken that in a different way.

"I mean I don't want to pry or anything but you just seem so...so sad." He looked like a deer caught in the headlights and he jumped up to leave but I caught his hand.

"I don't know you, but seeing you upset makes me upset. If-if you ever need to talk then you can talk to me, okay? That sounds weird because we're basically strangers but-well I don't know I just-" I stopped my rambling when he gave me a small smile, it slowly grew and he nodded just the slightest bit.

He didn't say anything, but his eyes screamed thank you. I gave him a huge smile back and let go of his hand.

I didn't say anything else as he quickly grabbed his bag and left the cafeteria, his shoulders weren't hunched but he kept his head down. He didn't seem like a conceited jerk at all.

Black. His nails were black.