Chapter 2: Mikey

“Did Bob know that I knew, Gee?” I asked and my older brother turned to look at me.

“Huh?”

“About him liking me?”

He shrugged but there was that look on his face that he hasn’t said anything to him. Shaking from the adrenaline pumping through my veins from hitting Bob, I stooped over and picked up some of the torn up music sheets. Looking over at Ray, I saw him leaning up against the wall behind on one of the amps and a focused look on his face. Sighing, I sat on the ground and brought my knees up to my chest, burying my face in to my arms. A sob escaped my lips and I leant my lower back against the wall. A louder sob escaped and I felt arms wrap around my shoulders. I was pulled into someone’s chest and I wrapped my arms around their waist. I glanced around the room and noticed that my brother and Frank were picking up the different stands and pieces of paper around the room. Ray was the one holding me and a shudder rippled through my body.

“Gee?” Frank asked quietly and everyone glanced at him.

“Yeah Frank?”

“What will become of the band?”

I glanced at my brother and he glanced at each of us. He took a deep breath and slowly exhaled it.

“I don’t know Frank,” he said and I sighed. “But, I think we should listen to Bob because I don’t want him to do something to make us regret the band.”

“But, I don’t wanna stop making music,” I piped up, like a five year old and sat up.

Ray placed a hand on my shoulder and I stared at my brother. Gerard looked torn and that made me feel like it was my fault. Glancing at Frank and Ray, I bolted to my feet and ran out of the room.

“Mikey!”

I didn’t stop and ran up to the receptionist. She looked up at me.

“Has a guy with blonde hair and a small beard come by here? By the name of Bob Bryar?” I panted.

“Uh yes, he is seeing the manager,” she replied and I nodded.

Bob stomped out of the room and glanced at me.

“Bob please, don’t walk out on us,” I pleaded but he glared at me.

“No, Mikey,” he stated. “I need to and you can’t stop me.”

As Bob went to push past me, I put my hand on his chest and he stopped. He looked down at me and I stared up at him, with what I hoped was with pleading eyes.

“Please don’t do this,” I whispered and saw the others out the corner of my eye.

“I have to,” he snarled and pushed past me.

“You are just so, ugh,” I shouted and Bob turned back to me.

“I’m so what Mikey?” he hissed.

“You only care about yourself,” I said and watched as Bob tried to remain calm. “You think you are so tough, when the kid of the band nearly kicked you through a wall not ten minutes ago. Do you realize how stupid that makes you?”

“Shut up, Mikey. You don’t know what you are talking about.”

“Yeah, I do. You only wanted to be a part of this band just to talk to me.”

Bob’s eye landed on Gerard and his face turned red.

“You told him?”

“No,” I said. “I figured it out. You made it so obvious; I was surprised Ray didn’t see it.”