Chapter 5: Party Poison/ Gerard

Glaring out the window, I shifted around, trying to get comfortable in the jeans I was told to get changed into. Mikey couldn’t stop looking out the windows at the desert. Melody and Allie were really young, at least eighteen or nineteen. Allie drove up to a run-down diner with dusty windows and the sign on the roof had lost the ‘n’ and the ‘r’. Melody jumped out and approached the diner. She opened the garage door and Allie parked the car in the garage and we got out. Mikey clung to me and I looked at the other two. Frank was being very cautious and Ray was, well, he was still pissed off with Steve. Allie beckoned us to follow her and she lead us into the main part of the diner. Melody ordered us to sit and we did.

“I’m sure you guys have heaps of questions but all will be answered soon,” Allie said and I glanced at the guys.

“The one thing you haven’t told us and we have been asking all day is what the hell is going on,” Ray shouted and the two girls flinched.

“Ray, calm down, we’ll figure this out,” I said and Ray glared out the window, his chin resting on his hand.

“Can you please tell us what’s going on?” Mikey whispered and looked up at the girls.

“A new era is forming,” Melody said. “That is all we can say because the Doc has ordered us to keep you guys safe until he gets here.”

“We need to tell them,” Allie mumbled and I looked at her. “Mels, they have a right to know. The Doc can understand that much.”

Melody sighed and leant against the counter. She nodded once and Allie hugged her.

“Since taking over Battery City, BL/ind have been wanting to take the world. A small band of outsiders came together and decided to slow down that process,” Allie explained and I looked at Ray.

He was looking at Allie with a blank expression plastered on his face. Melody turned on her heels and walked out of the room, a door closing softly behind her.

“This band of outsiders are called Killjoys, people with make shift names, you know like Winter Whirlwind and Psychic Chaos,” Allie continued and I felt Mikey stiffen beside me.

“So who comes up with these names?” he asked.

“You do. The name has to be two words and whatever describes you or maybe your favourite thing,” she concluded and Melody raced back into the eating area, tears streaming down her face.

The girl collapsed into Allies’ arms and continued to cry. She mumbled something and Allie’s blue-grey eyes widened, glimmering with tears.

“No,” she whispered and Melody turned to us.

“I have to go back with Allie,” she said, pulling on a yellow and teal blue stripped mask with paint splatters over it, which reminded me of the nickelodeon symbol. “Stay here and if anyone comes in, just hide under the seats.”

I nodded and the girls left, taking the Trans AM with them. Waiting until they were out of sight, I turned to the guys and caught Frank’s eyes. He smiled softly and I sighed.

“Guys, what are we doing here?” Ray asked and we looked at him.

“Huh?” Mikey squeaked.

“Why are we here? I mean, what have we done to be here?”

“Ray, come on,” Frank said. “We’re here because we were in the wrong place wrong time.”

“No we weren’t. We were just making another album.”

“And that is why we are here,” I snapped, standing up and planting my hands on the table, with the guys staring at me. “We did that album because of what we believed in. That album has shown us what we’ve got and to not abuse it. If we can get that album out, people will wake up to themselves and will see what we see.”