The Rebellious Type

🎶 Songs of the story:

Good Girls are Bad Girls- 5SOS

She Looks So Perfect- 5SOS

(these are the 2 songs I moved the story to fit around)

•5SOS Alternate universe. None of their family lives are true or anything, like literally I made it up. So if Ashton ends up having an adopted brother named bob, I warned you. (Not going to happen)•

•You're probably going to think this is cliché but I just wanted to write this to test my boundaries. I have two other Wattpad accounts and I've never done a good girl character, so I wanted to see what I could do. Listen to me when I say this is most likely going to be a wreck. But, as an aspiring writer, I need to span out my characters.•

~Alice~

The keys of the piano played the familiar tune of a William Darcy masterpiece. I was playing the song from heart and not even having to glance at the notes printed onto the book. It's just a natural thing for me now, after years of being forced to sit and play song after song of your mother's idol's.

(A/N I play the piano but I hate classical music. Therefore I know no classical piano players and I'm makin crap up.)

I wasn't playing for anyone at the moment, though. In fact, the recreational center was empty. Uncle James owned it and I could be here as late as I wanted, playing in the music room. I fought the urge to begin my own tune. I never broke my mother's rules. And one big rule? *No creativity.* Mum created a lot of these types of rules. You might as well make it a book and name it "No Fun For Alice". Or Mary, in my mother's words.

"You do know that boring shït will be forever drilled into my brain now?" I ever-so-gracefully flipped over the back of the piano bench. I knew this wasn't my uncle because he would never use such language. There, behind me, stood a tall guy with tater childish features. He smirked and held out a hand. I let him help me up, blushing. "Don't worry, babe, I'm used to girls falling for me."

I frowned deeply at his words and thought about how cocky his words are. But Mum's voice played in my head. *Your opinion doesn't matter, Mary.* I smiled as genuinely as possible. "Thanks for your help. But it's one in the morning and the center is closed." "What're you doing here?" "My uncle owns the whole building." I smiled proudly. *But you mustn't gloat.* Too late to take it back... "That's wicked. Say, does that mean you'd let me stay in here?" "For what?" "I'm pretty broke and can't afford a new set of drums. I'd like to practice on yours." He nodded towards the gleaming, amber and pearl drum set. "I'm just about to head out, actually," I lie. *Lies are for people who are ashamed to be real, Mary.*

"Just a second. Please. I love the drums, I can't live without them." Honestly, I wanted to experience other instruments but Mum refuses to let me play anything else. She won't even let me sing unless we're at church. *God's music should be the only music.*

"Okay. But, then we're leaving." The boy smiled, revealing dimples. I wonder his age... Seventeen, it seems. That would make him younger than me. He sat in front of the drums and pulled two wooden sticks from his messenger bag. They were covered in black duct tape. He spun them before playing.

The beat was a mix of pop and rock. It was something I was never aloud to listen to. Mum banned radios and when she found out it had an iTunes account, she changed the password. Music was never an option for me, unless it was the gospel music she blared throughout our house all day.

The guy's eyes met mine for a slit second. My stomach turned when he sent me another dimpled smile. *Boys are a waste of time. They do nothing but break your heart.* I don't think I would mind this boy breaking my heart. At least it's a change from a constant loop of piano, school, church, and books.

When he was done, he let out a breath. "Thanks, babe. I haven't been able to beat on some drums in a while. I broke mine." "How'd you know someone was here?" "There was a car in the lot. I just tried to open the door and it was unlocked, so I came in." I forgot to lock the door? That's safe. "Oh. Well... Your music is... Different." "You've never heard that song?" "No." His mouth opened in horror. "What? It's a boy band's music. You look like a girl who would like boy bands." "I don't know of any..." I tail off, embarrassed because of my mother. *I'm just looking out for you, Mary.*

"What's your name?" He asked, getting up from his chair. "Alice," I reply all too quickly. "Let me guess, Alice. You're raised my one parent, an only child. You go by a different name than your first, most likely your middle name. You only play this crappy music because one of your parents forces you. You wish you were more like me, free and unbound." I literally gaped. "How'd you-" "I can read people like a book. I don't read those, so I at least I'm doing some type of reading." I smiled softly. "It infuriates me you were able to get all of that correct." He smirks. "'Infuriates'? That's a new one. What's that mean, to piss you off?" "In a way."

The boy grinned and we began to exit the building, walking down the deserted halls. "So you're always here?" He guessed. "I love the piano." He frowns. "Really?" "Not the music," I admit. "But just the way the piano is. It reminds me of myself." "You should tell be about that sometimes." "I just might." To my surprise, he stopped walking, so I did as well. He moved his hand around my back. I frowned. We just met. I was dazed and confused when I noticed him sliding open the screen of my phone. That's why he needed my pocket. "No pass code?" He snickered. *What do you have to hide, Mary?* "No." "I'm Ashton, by the way." His hazel eyes meet mine as he hands over the phone. His name is on my contact's list. Ashton Irwin, with the lipstick stain emoji.

"You like that emoji?" I tease, taking my phone. "I'd rather have your real lipsticks stains on my body, but I can deal with that, for now." I tried not to gasp in surprise. Boys were never that open with me. I guess because I tried to follow Mum's rule about no boys. I think it'll be difficult with Ashton.

I texted the simple word "Hi" to him. He smiled as his phone buzzed. He opened it and chuckled.

Hi Xx Ash

I giggled and we continued on the way out. He grabbed a skateboard that was in the lobby. I suppose he put it down before coming in. We finally stepped outside. "Bye, Alice." "Bye, Ashton."

I drove home carefully. I broke a few rules tonight. I could just hear Mum nagging. *Don't talk to strangers.* *Don't give boys your number.* I trudged inside. Mum was asleep, no surprise. She wasn't okay with me out late, my my uncle managed to convince her that it was okay because it was for music.

I slowly trudged up the stairs, tired. I plopped onto my bed, still in jeans and a tee. *Don't dress so casual unless you're at home, people will think you're a bum.* I just went to the recreational center, it's no big deal. I usually don't break the rules, I swear. I guess I was just a little tired of being bound, as Ashton noted. My phone buzzed in my pocket and I pulled it out, knowing who it was from.

Those jeans make your bum look (and feel) spectacular. (; Xx Ash

•••

In case you haven't noticed, words surrounded by * are her mother's words. Or rules, really.