In Death And In Life

The night seemed to last forever, my head was full with thoughts. Her name everywhere.

Of course I thought of her,

Who didn't think of the dead girl?

The morning was bleak and nothing had changed in this sleepy town, except the weird almost silence you get once a conversation is finished and you're just waiting for something to talk about, that sort of quiet.

The memorials were up all around school, pictures of Alice Walker in every inch of the school walls, even in the strictest teacher's boards.

Alice Walker had taken over.

I wonder if she meant to do this, when she died. If she knew she'd take over, and all this would happen.

Who knows how much they would be missed?

Clearly not Alice Walker.

I caught Yazmin Fielding crying in the girl's bathrooms at lunch, she didn't say what she was crying for.

Or more specifically;

Who she was crying for.

But no one needed to ask, news of her death had spread like wildfire. It had even reached some of Facebook's most popular pages. People who had never even heard of our town had heard of her death.

It was pretty amazing to be honest.

How unknown and meaningless you could be in life,

But in death?

Oh you're a new celebrity darling.

The school still refuses to tell us how she died, I don't think they're wrong in doing so. It's just some crazy theories are popping up all over the place. One featuring her and Brad Pitt having a run in, only to be murdered by a jealous Cameron Dallas.

The school would be doing themselves a favour just to tell us...

Standing outside my house I watched, it was quiet. I couldn't imagine people reacting the way they do for her, for me.

I'm not that important.

But was Alice Walker?

It was then I noticed a brown paper envelope sticking out of our flower box. Strange. Maybe another delivery for my step-dad. As I picked it up, it didn't look official.

Not the type of package a ups man would deliver in his van, then shoot off with his one hundred other deliveries.

What mailman would have the time to stuff this in our flower box?

Someone who was not a mailman at all it turned out...