On My Own (3)

Aubrey Graham

Locking my 2016 Black Cadillac Escalade, I slowly walked towards the doors of Lenny and Lisa's home. It was Sunday and I was here to pick up the kid just like I'd told Onika. After our breakup, things had been shaky been the two of us. I felt like we'd made it to the point where the well being of or children became less important and our personal issues were always the topic of discussion.

I'm not blaming anything on Onika, as a man I took full responsibility of my actions but their seemed to always be tension no matter how hard I tried to make things right.

I waited patiently for a few seconds until Onika answered the door, which was surprising. I wasn't really expecting her to be here, but it was her parents' home. She was dressed in a Black Dress, which really complimented her figure. I stared for a quick second, remembering the moment I actually fell in love with her.

2004, McDonalds on Peachtree Rd. Me and a few of my boys went in to grab something quick to eat and Onika caught my eye. Though she was covered up in the Macdonalds uniform, she had one of the most beautiful faces I'd ever seen. I decided to shoot my shot and it actually worked. We talked here and there for about a year until we moved to the next step. It wasn't really a deep relationship, but we had an agreement to not fuck with anybody else for the time being. Eventually we began to have sex, literally everyday. I'd pick her up from work and blow her back out. When she got home from school, I'd sneak her in my crib or she'd sneak me into hers.

She ended up going to Clark Atlanta University for college in August of 2005 and told me that she was pregnant a few months later. I had no clue on how to be a father, being that I never had one in my life. My dad was somewhere in Canada, living his life while my mother and her family resided in Georgia. I didn't let that discourage me though, I put on the cape and wore it well. Soon, Ace was born and later came Asani. I genuinely loved my children, all three of them, but I still battled with my own personal issues. I sometimes felt like I was forced to become a man a little too fast. Not that my kids were a mistake, but they definitely weren't expected nor planned.

"Are you gonna stare or are you gonna help me get their things"? Onika asked, meaning that I must've been staring for a really long time. I sighed, "My bad Onika, damn". She rolled her eyes, calling the kids down.

"Ace and Asani each have two uniforms in their overnight bags. Their underwear and toothbrushes are also in there, and please make sure you send them to school with a snack for lunch. Asani is allergic to peanuts so make sure you don't put anything with peanuts in her bag. Ace doesn't eat apples, so give him an orange or banana. Make sure they're in bed no later than 9:00pm and please have them at school on time, not later than 8:00am. Aiden has enough formula to last him well over two days, as well as diapers and wipes. He has four sets of pajamas and two outfits, in case he throws up. If there is an instance that you have to get diapers, please get the 'Huggies Little Snugglers'. Make sure you use the ointment every time you change his diaper to prevent any rashes and please don't put too much baby powder, he hates it. I usually allow him to drink 8oz bottles when he's really hungry, but a 4oz can sometimes satisfy him. There should be more than two pacifiers in his diaper bag, just in case you misplace one".

The way she made everything seem, three children were a handful and she handled all three on a daily basis. I admired how she could remember it all.

"That's it"? She nodded her head, "Oh- make sure they all bathe before bed. On Tuesday, you can bring Aiden over here, my mom will keep him instead of daycare". After she was done explaining everything, she gave the kids dozens of kiss and finally allowed us to leave.

To be honest, since Onika and I went out separate ways, I'd never kept all three of the kids for over a day. I never had to worry about getting them ready for school or any event without the help of Onika or my mom, so I knew that I was in for a handful.

•••

"Daddy my sandwich is burnt! I sighed, looking down at her plate. "Mommy makes my grilled cheese perfect, I want mommy"! Ace looked at her, sipping on his apple juice. "Me too, dad this food is burnt".

I sighed, "Look, how about this.. I order you guys pizza and cinnamon sticks. Daddy can't cook like mommy, I'm sorry". Asani smiled, "That sounds good, can we get pineapples? Mommy always lets me get pineapple pizza"!

"Sure Asani, what about you Ace"? He shrugged, "Anything but this dad", he said while dumping his and Asani's plate into the garbage.

After about 45 minutes of waiting, the pizza had finally came and we were resting on the couch, watching some movie that played on Disney Channel. "Can we call mom", Ace asked. Asani shook her head, "Noooo, mommy is on a date".

I looked at Asani, "A date"? She nodded her head, "Yup, she let me pick out her outfit for the date. Daddy you should take mommy on a date too, so I can pick out her outfit again". Ace shook his head, focusing back on the television.

After the movie went off, I got the  kids ready for bed. Luckily, they still had their own rooms from when Onika and I lived together, so I didn't really have to worry about them taking over my bed. Aiden was the last to get bathed, being that he had no where important to be in the morning.

After his bath, I fed him a 4oz bottle and we actually chilled for a minute. Not that he could actually talk to me or anything, but I played like he could. He giggled at some of his he things I said, as if he really knew what I was talking about. Eventually, he went back to sleep, leaving me up by myself.

At times this condo seemed so empty with only me in it. I sometimes missed Ace's and Asani's toys being scattered across the floor and Onika standing over the stove cooking dinner every night. I actually felt like I had something to look forward to when I came home but times have changed.

One day, Lenny and Lisa were having a BBQ at their place. I'd been considering proposing to Onika for a minute, but never really found the courage. I figured that I didn't have much to lose, being that we already had two kids together. I carried the ring in my pocket for days, figuring that I should just get it over. Before everyone ate, Lisa asked anyone if they wanted to pray. I offered and took the chance to thank Onika for bringing my two beautiful children into this world, I remember Asani wouldn't stop tugging at my pants for me to pick her up.

Speeding up the process, I got straight to the point, asking Onika if she would take my hand in marriage. Obviously, she said yes and our journey was suppose to be a hit from there. Somewhere along the line, I got caught up with women who only saw my materialistic value. Secretly, my actions still upset me. I'll forever regret it all because I lost Onika after it all, even if I don't show it- I still love that woman.

To hear that she's on a date or even attempting to give another man the time of day is scary..

•••

Aubrey isn't that bad 😭 y'all hate him though...

Vote & Comment