6.

How do you make yourself not like someone   - Louise Rennison

Over the next week and a bit I kept far away from Jamie. It was to the point I was leaving my apartment earlier to get to the arena way before I usually would just so I wouldn't meet up with him in front of the building or on the street. I was finding myself literally driving in the complete other direction from the arena just so it would take me a little longer to get there just so I wouldn't see him.

Being at the arena was a different story.

He was constantly trying to get my attention when he was on the ice. And I couldn't be a dick, like, I couldn't ignore him because then that would look weird. But I couldn't give him a lot of attention because that would be weird too. My life was obviously very difficult.

And it was hard too just because of how close I was with the other guys, and they always hung out with Jamie. So if they wanted me to go get food with them Jamie was there. I would make small talk but I tried to avoid everything about him.

But it was extremely hard to do. I wanted to talk to him. I wanted to spend some time with him. But I knew that if I did, there was a good chance that my feelings for him would grow even more than they were.

It was the end of September and the guys and I were out eating lunch after their practice. I had my phone in my hand and I was searching for any Taylor Swift concerts coming up around us in Dallas but nothing was going on.

"What's got you looking all sad and shit?" Tyler asked me.

I looked up from my phone, "I was checking if there was a date that Taylor Swift was coming around here, but I already missed her Texas date," I told him, locking my phone and placing it on the table next to me.

"So you're sad you're missing some Tay Tay Swift?" Cody asked from next to me.

I pouted, "Yes!"

The table laughed, "Oh all of you can shut up," I said with a laugh, only causing them to laugh harder, "Fuck all you guys!"

"Can't you find her when we're on an away game or something?" Jamie asked me, from across the table.

I looked at him awkwardly, "Even if I could, it would be on an in between day and I don't want to pay to fly for a day to fly right back afterwards. It's dumb," I said, looking down at my food.

"Oh relax," Spezza said, tossing the rolled up wrapper from his straw at me, making me laugh, "you can see her next time."

"She said she was going to take a break for a few years," I whined, picking the wrapper off of my shirt and flicking it at Tyler.

"Chin up, kiddo," Demers said from a couple seats away from me, "watch her on YouTube."

I rolled my eyes, "Don't call me kiddo, Dem, you're only two years older than me."

He smiled, "Still older," he said smugly.

I flipped him the finger while the guys laughed, I smiled and put my hand back down, glancing at Jamie across from me and saw him smiling at me.  I looked away from him over at Tyler who was telling another one of his stories, but I couldn't shake the feeling that was forming in my chest. I felt warm.

---

I knew the guys would be in the best spirits after their game against the Penguins that night. We had won 3-0 on home ice. I was waiting in the hall outside the locker room to congratulate them and because Cody was driving me home that night. I didn't like walking that late at least.

Cody came out followed by Jamie and Tyler, they were the last three.

"Great job, guys!" I said smiling at them.