Mornings

He opened his eyes upon waking up. A smile reached his face as his eyes landed on the woman beside him.

She was still fast asleep, her eyes moving slightly underneath her closed eyelids as she dreamt. Her messy morning hair was splayed across the white pillow under her head, and a lazy smile drew across her dazed lips. Her chest slowly rose and fell as she breathed; in and out, in and out.

He turned to his side and draped an arm across her, pulling himself closer. Even while asleep, she sunk into his touch almost immediately. He felt the warmth of her body radiating onto his. He nestled his face into the crook of her neck, the short hair falling over her shoulder barely tickling his cheek.

He felt safe there; like nothing could hurt him, and nothing would. Not just being there, with his head on her shoulder, but in her presence in general.

He loved being with her, around her, near her. She always made him feel secure and loved and more himself than he had ever felt before.

She slowly stirred awake. The small smile on her face grew when she recognized the feeling of him pressed against her. Like a magnet, her hand gravitated towards his, lacing their fingers together. She felt his heavy breathing on the back of her neck as his lips barely touched her skin.

"Good morning," his hoarse voice mumbled. He lazily kissed her exposed neck.

She whispered back, "Morning." She turned in his grasp to face him. "How did you sleep?"

"Good, you?"

"Better because you're here." She scooted forward an inch to kiss the top of his nose.

He smiled, still feeling heavy from sleep. She snuggled closer, wrapping her arms around him. He turned onto his back so she could rest her head on his chest comfortably.

She left little kisses across his chest. He felt butterflies flutter in his stomach at the feeling of her plush lips against his hot skin. His hand snuck under the hem of the loose shirt of his she wore, feeling the smoothness underneath. His fingers absently traced designs on her side. She hummed with content in response, closing her eyes.

He swore he could stay like that forever, encasing her in his embrace. He loved the weight of her slightly pushing on him. The calming silence that hushed over them cleared his mind, brushing away any worries from before.

He wished they could lay there all day, with nothing there to bother them, only the two enjoying each others company... and so they did.