Chapter Nine

Kitty escaped from the Queen Vic, accompanied by Lee and stood in the streets of Albert Square, sinking everything into her crystal clear blue eyes. Because she is not permitted to wandering around the district alone, without a family member or a trusted friend, everything seemed so fascinating to her and was in the centre of it all.

Kitty rotated her head back and forth and convinced herself that city life is fantastic and that she wouldn't want to be anywhere else but East London.

Albert Square became more crowded as the morning rays peeked through, as nature's dusky sky evaporated and street lights automatically switched off. The marketeers bellowed powerfully, sounding so desperate to get their products sold.

Kitty watched the overground train zooming passed Albert Square, flashing before her eyes.
"Come on Kitty", said Lee, motioning Kitty to get her going for school.

Kitty quickly snapped out of her 'Albert Square watching' session and viewed Lee strolling away from her and hastily scampered behind him, to avoid losing him from the crowd. She got confused when she saw him going into the Minute Mart and entered the shop also.

Lee halted by the gigantic range of branded sweets and chocolates stacked

on a shelf beside the newspapers and magazines. He inhaled the sweet smell of confectionery that was lying in opened plastic square tubs.

"Go then, pick out something", commanded Lee, referring to the sweets.

Kitty glowered her eyebrows and was still puzzled, "What for"?"For your birthday treat this morning", answered Lee.Kitty's jaw dropped after hearing what Lee had said. Sweets for breakfast?Kitty was uncertain on what sweets to select for her 'breakfast' and couldn't choose between Cadbury's or Galaxy or Rowntree. She was so tempted to take the whole lot. But that would be greedy, especially when her brother was generous enough to treat her.

Eventually Kitty made a decision on what to get and grabbed a packet of Skittles from a cardboard box. She gave them to Lee, for him to purchase.

"Is this all you want"? asked Lee, extracting the sweets from her hands.

Kitty nodded.

Lee walked to the checkout to pay for the sweets, with Kitty trotting behind him. When they both arrived at the checkout to pay, Shabnam was behind the counter occupied on her mobile phone and was sending a text message to Kush.

Shabnam diverted her eyes away from her phone screen when she noticed Lee standing in front of her, placing items on the surface of the counter and inserted her mobile phone into her work apron to attend to Lee and Kitty. She glowered her eyebrows as she glanced at the sweets, thinking it was a bit strange to be scanning sweets at this time of the morning but knew that they were for Kitty and not Lee.

"You're a lucky girl to be having sweets this early", said Shabnam, speaking directly to Kitty, standing beside Lee and was on her tiptoes, making eye contact at Shabnam.

"It's my birthday today", clarified Kitty.

Shabnam raised her eyebrows, "Really? Well in that case happy birthday to you. And is your lovely brother buying them for you"?

Kitty nodded, "Well he insisted"!Shabnam and Lee both chuckled.

"Well you're a very lucky girl", repeated Shabnam. "I would never have been allowed sweets for breakfast. Birthday or no birthday".

"I still have to go to school though", mentioned Kitty, sounding gutted.

Shabnam chuckled, "Well you have to go to school, I'm afraid. It's important".