Chapter Ten

All Lee could perceive was the sound of The Vamps blaring loudly from the living-room, where Kitty's party was being held. He was occupied in his bedroom packing fresh clean clothes and other important items into his army duffle bag, in preparation for returning to the army.

Lee felt slightly guilty and stupid for not bonding with Kitty on her birthday, especially when she got emotional when he wasn't able to attend her birthday last year. Now that he's present on Kitty's sixth birthday party, he is choosing to keep his distance to avoid showing himself in front of everyone, especially with how he was feeling about leaving to return to his occupation.

And as per usual, Mick will sense there is something bothering him and get suspicious. He'd only question him in front of everyone and Lee is anxious that he'll let the big secret out accidently on Kitty, which he didn't want happening in front of his friends. Lee chose to announce the news after the party ended and all the guests had gone.

Whilst Lee was still packing, he eyeballed a photo frame lying underneath his navy blue long sleeve shirt. He placed his shirt neatly on top of the other neatly folded clothing in the army duffle bag, and picked up a photo frame.

It was a picture of Lee with his family at Christmas, which always took with him when returning to Afghanistan. The picture was taken by Grandma Elaine, in their old home in Watford, which was well before their big move to Walford. Everyone in the photo was wearing Christmas hats from a Christmas cracker. Including Kitty, who was only a baby at the time.

The Carters were seated on an old fashioned sofa, with Mick and Linda sitting on the arms of the furniture. Both Mick and Linda had wine glasses in their hands and everyone appeared to be having a wonderful time. Lee sat in the middle of Nancy and Johnny, with Kitty sitting on top of him. She stared at the camera and had her index finger in her mouth and stared at the camera and looked like she had no notion of what was happening.

After the photo had been taken, Lee still had Kitty sitting on his knees and could smell something revolting. He soon realised that Kitty had soiled herself. Linda got up from the armrest of the sofa and removed Kitty from Lee to change her nappy.

From the moment Linda had finished changing Kitty, all she did was cry hysterically. Everyone pondered that Kitty enjoyed the idea of sitting in her own waste and Linda got her cleaned up. Then they realised from Kitty's blushed cheeks that she had a high temperature, after suffering from a flu before Christmas. All Lee could reminisce that day was trying to get Kitty's temperature to drop and he spent most of the day watching Peppa Pig with her.

Lee motioned his arm to set the family photograph into his army duffle bag. He tucked it deeply underneath his work uniform and swathed it around, to avoid it from getting damaged. Tear drops slowly trickled down his cheeks because the thought of being absent from his family was affecting him.

Whilst Lee was dissociating himself, everyone else gathered in the living-room, commencing Kitty's party. Along with some of the family's intimate friends lodging in Albert Square.

The living-room was refurbished into a children's birthday party. Multi-coloured balloons drifted aimlessly on the floor among the discarded wrapping paper. Banners laid in a slanted position at the centre of each window in the living-room.

Nancy, Johnny and Whitney Dean were parked on the three seated charcoal sofa and were nibbling on party food and chattering among each other. At the same time, they had to observe Kitty and her two party guests, Lily Slater and Tommy Moon, whilst Linda was getting the birthday cake prepared.

Kitty was dressed in her new Frozen t-shirt that Johnny purchased for her as a birthday present. Herself, Tommy and Lily were occupying themselves by playing games on the Nintendo Wii and were all settled in front of the television. Because there was only two Wii remotes, Kitty permitted Tommy and Lily to play on the console first.