Ch. 16

"There will always be people afraid of the monsters in the night. They are usually the ones that look for them because they have proven they exist in themselves."

The thick thump of boots against dirt fills the woods as brief flashes of light stream across the darkness. Heavy pants and sudden stopping of footprints stop and start over and over again. A high breeze flows throughout the trees as the moon sits high in the cool sky. Crickets chirp in the plants throughout the woods as the chirps and booming voices of men break the night silence. A few groans of walkers call out before they're quickly put down, mostly by the barrel of shot guns.

"Violet!" The booming voices call out through the darkness. The thump of footsteps continue as they finally pass a doorway, turning to stained concrete floors. Violet pushes past large containers and crates as she slides her fingers along a cold, brick wall. A fluorescent light fills the large space as Violet covers her mouth with her palm, trying to conceal her breaths and gentle cries.

The army of footsteps follow her onto the concrete as she watches their shadows dance along the brick walls. "Violet!" One voice in particular voice screams, it standing out among the rest. Negan. Violet's eyes shut slightly as she leans her back against the brick wall. She runs her fingertips along the wall as she breathes out quietly.

He's a monster. She knows that. However, she's completely in love with him and she hates it. She hates the excuses that she makes for him when he fucks up. She hates the way that people look at her when he's hurt someone that they love. She hates the way that he treats her like a child. She hates the piece of him that lives on inside of her.

"Vi!" Negan shouts, his voice shrill. "Do not make me say your name one more fuckin' time!" Violet's eyes glide open as she stares at the container in front of her. It covers her entirely as she hides behind it. Slowly, she releases herself from the wall and peeks her eyes around the corner of the container.

She sees him standing in the center of the room, Lucille quick at his side. His leather jacket tightens around his biceps as he rises Lucille to his shoulder. A dirty grin spreads across his aging lips as his dark eyes focus on the corner that she hides in. "Come on out, sweetheart," he says quietly, "I ain't gonna hurt you."

Violet's eyes glare in his direction as she leaves her corner of safety. She walks along the illuminated windows behind her. A small army of Negan's men stand behind him, all weapons tight in their grips. Negan's smile disappears quickly as she stands before him, an emotionless expression plastered across her face.

"Vi," Negan says as he narrows his gaze, "can you please explain to me why the fuck you ran away? Because I had to get my men together at two in the fucking morning to run around these creepy ass woods looking for your pretty face and I really don't appreciate that shit...." Violet crosses her arms as she stares at the man in front of her.

No. Not the man. The monster. The monster that she loves to hate. The monster that she loves to see chasing after her. She knows that if he's chasing after her, he cares. The second that he stops chasing after her, he's stopped caring.

"You know why I ran away...." she spits as she takes a single step towards him. He keeps his dark eyes on her as another smile spreads like a wildfire. "Oh baby," he smiles, "I love you but I'm gettin' real sick of playing your games." Violet can't smile back as she takes a step backwards.

"Oh wait," Negan stops as his eyes get bigger, "this isn't one of your games though. I know this is different...." He places Lucille back at his side and drags her alongside the concrete floor beside him. He walks in a circle around Violet as tears nearly fill her eyes. "You see, this time I found your bag, Vi."

Violet bites the corner of her lip as her eyes turn towards the concrete at her feet. "And you know what else?" Negan asks as he stops directly behind her. "I talked to the doc. Don't you think he would consult with me? I mean, I am his fuckin' leader and all." Negan glides his loose palm up Violet's back gently as he rests his palm on her right shoulder.

She can feel his warm breath on her neck as she closes her eyes. She knows that he won't hurt her. But she can't help but want him to. It would be easier to be dead than to love a monster. "Please," Violet whispers as tears stream down her cheeks, "please." Negan's grip tightens slightly on her shoulder as he pulls her towards his chest.

"Please what, baby?" He asks, his voice full of genuine concern. "Please," Violet cries, tears flooding her cheeks, "Please kill me. Make this stop." Negan's eyes drop and fill with fear and concern as he stares down at her. "Oh sweetheart," Negan says as he releases his palm from her shoulder, "I can't kill the woman carrying my child."

Violet turns away from him as more tears flood her hot cheeks. She can barely catch her breath as she turns away from him. It physically hurts her to have him say that. It was easier when it was just them. She would be lying if she said she didn't love him. She did. She does. And yes, she wanted to be a mother more than anything in this world. However, bringing a child into this world to watch its father be a murderer would be harder than death.

More than anything, fear crippled Violet when she realized that the child could be the result of its environment and turn into a carbon copy of its father. "I won't ever lie a finger on you or our baby," Negan whispers through a smile. A crack splits through Violet's heart as anger and rage tears through her. In an instant, her hands are crashing against his chest.

Negan's men step forward but Negan waves them off. "Don't fuckin' touch her!" Negan shouts as Violet thrashes her hands against him as he drops Lucille to the ground. "Do it! Do it!" Violet screams as her force pushes him back a few times. Her fingernails drag at his shoulders as his arms quickly wrap around her tightly.

"Make it stop! Please, just make it stop!" Tears continue to flood her cheeks, dripping down her chest as Negan's chest crashes against hers as he brings her into him. Negan allows her to try to push her body away from him, he lets her fingernails tear his shoulders, neck and chest apart. Eventually, after fighting hard enough, Violet gives in and drops her weight.

Negan carries her weight for a second before allowing himself to crash to the ground with her. He wraps his legs around her as her once fighting hands wrap around his neck. She sobs into his neck as Negan is quiet. Negan stares at Lucille in the center of the room as he holds tightly onto Vi. He tightens his grip on her as he rocks back and forth gently.

"It's alright, Vi," he whispers, "It's alright, Vi...."

vote. comment. etc.