6. Ashamed

My head hanging low I slowly shuffle out of the school building being pulled behind my father while he scolded me violently.
"What were you thinking?" Was the first of many things he shouted at me as he dragged me to the car. The door is slammed behind me as I get ready for my impending doom that awaits me."WHAT HAS GOTTEN INTO YOU LATELY?" I reply with a simple " I don't know". "A WEEKS SUSPENSION DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE OTHER PARENTS WILL BE SAYING ABOUT ME?". It was with that simple question that I started dreading arriving home.

Me and my dad live alone. Just him and me. Ever since my mom was killed by a drunk driver, he has been getting worse. Drinking more every day. What I've learnt over the years is that as soon as I see that dreaded bottle in his hand again I need to escape.

Pulling up the driveway my heart starts pounding in my chest like a hummingbirds wings against the wind. I hear the car door being ripped open and a tight grip being secured around my lower arm. Not hesitating to Strike me across the face as soon as the door is tightly shut and we are out of sight from the judgment of the world.
My eyes squeeze shut as I receive blow after blow. Violently pushing me towards the stairs he screams in my face to go upstairs and not come back down till my suspension is over.

As soon as I get into my room I collapse onto my bed. Those oh so familiar tears once again streaming down my now bruised cheeks. Slowly I drag myself up into a sitting position before checking my phone.

Charlie: what happened back there?
Charlie: are you okay?
Charlie: are you hurt?
Charlie: do you want me to come over?
(4) missed calls from Charlie.
Farrah:I'm fine.
Lie.
Farrah: don't come over I'm grounded

It was a few minutes before I saw those dreaded grey dots appear again. I really do like Charlie, just not in the way he wants me to. All he does is care for me and want the best for me. I'm just too afraid to tell him the truth. Gazing into the mirror I see that my once bright hazel eyes now sunken and bruised with the soft pink glow that used to emit from my warm cheeks now relaxed with the purple and blue of fresh bruises. I look down at my suddenly illuminated phone screen to see a fresh text from my 'boyfriend'.

Charlie: That's a shame. I was gonna check whether you wanted to go to a party tonight.
Farrah: On a school night?

Typical Charlie not caring about school or grades but about parties, sports and me.

Charlie: Since when do I care about school nights.

I slowly chuckle to myself as read the boys attempts to lighten my mood. Starting to put things in perspective I wonder if it would matter if I broke more rules. It wasn't going to check up on me anytime soon, so why not.

Farrah: I'll go to that party with you.
Charlie: that's my girl
Farrah: meet me round the side of my house.

Jumping up I slam open the door of my closet tearing through my few dresses that I own. I settle on a short white dress.

Shuffling of metal is all I hear through my wide open window

Shuffling of metal is all I hear through my wide open window. I gaze down at Charlie who is now standing looking up with a large grin spread across his face holding my fathers building ladder. He gently sets us just below for me to climb down. Carefully I step down the rickety piece of metal eventually jumping into his arms.

He leads me to his car and we slowly pull away from my temporary jail and towards what was hopefully going to be a night of freedom.