vi.

"Alaska!" I turned to the source of Cecelia's voice. She walked into the room, spotting me, and taking a seat next to me on the couch, facing me.

"Now I know you don't," she stopped, deliberating her choice of words, "'care,'" she air quoted with her fingers, "but I've had word that half the tributes want you as their ally." It was true, I didn't care, because no matter what, I would not allow myself to have allies. No more people I cared about meant no heartbreak in the long run. I refused to let myself feel that broken ever again if I could help it.

"I can't." I replied simply.

"Oh come on, let up, princess." Malachai snapped, also strolling into the room.

"Malachai," I started firmly, but monotonous "I don't know why you care – I am not your problem."

"Pick someone you dumbass! Or do you wanna die?" He retorted, shouting, sitting down opposite me.

"Malachai," Cecelia attempted to calm him down, rubbing her temples.

"Okay, Beetee and Wiress." I yelled, leaning forward in intimidation. "And Mags." I said, less aggressively this time.

He scoffed, throwing his head back as he closed his eyes, agitated. "Oh really? Nuts and Volts and the 80 year old cripple? Don't be ridiculous Alaska,"

"Malachai!" Cecelia piped up again, firmly and authoritatively, as she pointed towards him, warning him to shut up.

Malachai sneered, standing up to leave after only seconds of being in our company, "I'm surrounded by idiots." He was already out of the room by the end of the sentence.

She seemed stressed, sitting silently, but said softly, "Just think about it, Alaska. I'm not working against you here, I want you to make it out, and I'm your mentor. I know what I'm talking about." She squeezed my hand. "Remember who the real enemy is." With that, she stood up, and walked out of the room, with one last glance back at me, leaving me alone.

And then there was one.

//

I turned to lie on my left side, away from the lights of the Capitol that streamed through the glass in my room. Lifting my head up to see the time, I could see it was only 2.25am, but there was no way I was going to sleep. The nightmares were worse than they were at home, and I didn't want to subject myself to it anymore.

Sighing and running my hand through my hair, I sat up, swinging my legs off the bed, and they touched the cold floor. Walking over to the dresser where I had left my dad's jacket, I picked it up, and threw it on, then opened the door quietly and stalked out.

I was met with utter silence, as Malachai, Cecelia and Eda slept. In the silence, I could fully appreciate the apartment. It was huge, Capitol style, of course, but it truly was beautiful and lavish.